Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    I've got two questions about restaurants, both slightly out of the tread subject. Back in the '60's there was a very fancy restaurant at the top of the Mich Con Gas Bldg at the foot of Woodward. It was called The Top of the Flame. As a high school student, I could never afford it, but my brother worked there for a while. Also, on Woodward up around the Blvd, or slightly north, there was a nice little restaurant on the East side of the street. If I remember right, it was by an old Victorian house that sold pianos and organs.

I haven't lived in the area since the late '60's so does anybody remember these two eateries?
    Look at the post just above yours. I used to work at One Woodward....celebrated my 21st birthday at Top of the Flame. The guy looked at me funny when I gave him my ID for a free 21 drink...because I had been drinking in there for months with phoney ID. I worked in the floors below.

Would be Smiley Bros. Piano & Organs place up Woodward Ave probably....old Col. Hecker's house?
    [img]http://detroit1701.org/Graphics/HeckerHouse.JPG[/img]
    Not visualizing restaurant at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Look at the post just above yours. I used to work at One Woodward....celebrated my 21st birthday at Top of the Flame. The guy looked at me funny when I gave him my ID for a free 21 drink...because I had been drinking in there for months with phoney ID. I worked in the floors below.

Would be Smiley Bros. Piano & Organs place up Woodward Ave probably....old Col. Hecker's house?
    [img]http://detroit1701.org/Graphics/HeckerHouse.JPG[/img]
    Not visualizing restaurant at the moment.
    There was a little restaurant just north of the Museum of Art across from old Art Centre Hospital. I think it was called Cappy's. Mostly a lunch spot, IIRC, but good.
    Edit: It was also about a block south of Smiley Bros/Law office Victorian house.
    Last edited by jcole; May-01-10 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Additions