Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

The Greening of Detroit has done a more than admirable job as they are the forestry department of the city of Detroit. It is a 501c3 corporation and only recently have gotten permission to use the old Rouge Park nursery to plant smaller trees which will grow into larger trees at a much lower cost. They are a non profit.

Trees of Heaven i believe were named after a Michaelangelo painting of St Michael guarding the gates of heaven. They are presented as an arch in the painting.

CCS did a wonderful project with trees of heaven and benches at I think MOCAD?. They cut the trees, milled them and turned them into benches. They were surprising beautiful. The pictures and video are fun.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    The Greening of Detroit has done a more than admirable job as they are the forestry department of the city of Detroit. It is a 501c3 corporation and only recently have gotten permission to use the old Rouge Park nursery to plant smaller trees which will grow into larger trees at a much lower cost. They are a non profit.

Trees of Heaven i believe were named after a Michaelangelo painting of St Michael guarding the gates of heaven. They are presented as an arch in the painting.

CCS did a wonderful project with trees of heaven and benches at I think MOCAD?. They cut the trees, milled them and turned them into benches. They were surprising beautiful. The pictures and video are fun.
    Yes, I'm a fan of the Greening of Detroit, but there is only so much one small organization can do. And, you did mean that the GofD is the de facto forestry department, right?

BTW, did Detroit ever have a formal forestry department or was in Parks & Rec that did the trees? If it did, did it get folded into Parks & Rec.

Detroit was the city of trees all the way down to the end of the Mayor Pingree days. by the 1950s Dutch Elm disease took its toll of most of the Dutch Elm trees. By the late 1990s some strange bugs eat the most of Ash trees from the inside out. Most of the Ash trees started to tumble and fall.

Hopefully the Asian Longhorn Beetles didn't came to Metro-Detroit Area and eat our trees up.