Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

crawford Guest

The freeways were NOT responsible for Detroit's decline. This is such revisionist B.S.

Gee, if we never built freeways, all the Poles would still be living on Chene Street, right?

Take a look at a city map. There is no correlation between decay and placement of freeways. In fact, the most decayed part of Detroit [[Near East Side/Lower East Side) has no freeways! Not one!

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    The freeways were NOT In fact, the most decayed part of Detroit [[Near East Side/Lower East Side) has no freeways! Not one!
    Then I guess I-94 [[Edsel Ford Freeway) is just a tiny side street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_94_in_Michigan

The freeways were NOT responsible for Detroit's decline. This is such revisionist B.S.

Gee, if we never built freeways, all the Poles would still be living on Chene Street, right?

Take a look at a city map. There is no correlation between decay and placement of freeways. In fact, the most decayed part of Detroit [[Near East Side/Lower East Side) has no freeways! Not one!
    You can't possibly be serious.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You can't possibly be serious.
    Why are the neighborhoods off Jefferson the most decayed in the city? Where's the freeway? How about Blightmoor? Don't see a freeway. 7 Mile/Hayes? Dexter/Davison? Nope.

Why is NW Detroit the best neighborhood in the city? It should be the pits! Two giant freeways running through these neighborhoods.

Why is SW Detroit the only growing neighborhood in Detroit? Tons of freeways!

And downtown and midtown should be awful. They have the most freeways, by far.

Crawford,

I think you're suffering from armchair Detroiter-itis.

That far eastside is an area that's coming back pretty strong [[I am regularly over there). Not in the "urbanist" sense so many talk about here, but as suburban style development and new housing tracts. It's so burned out that it's prime land to start fresh and it's starting to fire up.

It's not perfect, but it's got lots of stuff. U-Snapback morningside is over there, lots of new retail developments - there are good tracts that are completely unrecognizable from five or seven years ago.

Oh, I don't know if you realize this, but there is a freeway named the Davison. It happens to be the first one ever built. Just sayin'.

Why are the neighborhoods off Jefferson the most decayed in the city? Where's the freeway? How about Blightmoor? Don't see a freeway. 7 Mile/Hayes? Dexter/Davison? Nope.

Why is NW Detroit the best neighborhood in the city? It should be the pits! Two giant freeways running through these neighborhoods.

Why is SW Detroit the only growing neighborhood in Detroit? Tons of freeways!

And downtown and midtown should be awful. They have the most freeways, by far.
    Duh...... I-96 runs parallel of Blightmoor, as you call it. Get your facts straight.