Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I have seen a draft of the March 3 service changes. [[Note: it is a DRAFT.)

It is not nearly as disastrous as what is predicted here. It does include the usual crappy reductions in already thin service and, without any fanfare, the elimination of overnight [[but not nighttime) service. Basically no service between about 12:30 a.m. and 5 a.m.

The only route elimination on the DRAFT I saw was the Imperial. The east-side portion of the Vernor route is being eliminated.

So it is another bummer of a document, one of the cuts in DDOT's death by a thousand cuts. But it is not per se a catastrophe. Under the circumstances, frankly, I was expecting worse.

Professor,I appreciate the information. No service from 12:30-5:00am isn't ideal but given economic times being as they are I understand.I don't like but certainly understand. Now what have you heard[[what do you know)regarding the elimination of weekend service?
    I thank you again for the information&your time
    Last edited by trotwood; February-15-12 at 12:14 PM.

The draft I saw had nothing about eliminating weekend service. I don't believe that is happening at the moment.

"At the moment" worries me. Thanks again Professor!

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    I have seen a draft of the March 3 service changes. [[Note: it is a DRAFT.)

It is not nearly as disastrous as what is predicted here. It does include the usual crappy reductions in already thin service and, without any fanfare, the elimination of overnight [[but not nighttime) service. Basically no service between about 12:30 a.m. and 5 a.m.

The only route elimination on the DRAFT I saw was the Imperial. The east-side portion of the Vernor route is being eliminated.

So it is another bummer of a document, one of the cuts in DDOT's death by a thousand cuts. But it is not per se a catastrophe. Under the circumstances, frankly, I was expecting worse.
    My previous comment stands. Overnight service is not dispensable, and I don't know how many times they expect us to tell them this.

Funny thing is a recent source for Fox 2 News investigation group said that there are some new D-DOT busses in the Coolidge Terminal but haven't been used yet.

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/mo...led-bus-system

"1000 city workers will be laid off next week—including 78 bus drivers and 25 mechanics, according to Naomi Patton, a spokeswoman for Detroit Mayor Dave Bing."

"Patton says Bing will reveal more details about changes to the system later this week. In the meantime, a public hearing is scheduled for February 24th—as the layoffs are going into effect."

Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    http://www.michiganradio.org/post/more-cuts-changes-store-detroits-troubled-bus-system
    From that article:
    The city recently turned over management of its transportation department to a private contractor, Parsons Brinckerhoff, who sub-contracted with another company, Envisurage.
    Envisurage, in turn, is apparently a vehicle [[no pun intended) for this guy.

That article doesn't sound too bad.