Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Just out of curiosity, are any buildings on the fairgrounds currently used? I'm thinking of the State Fair Coliseum in perticular.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are any buildings on the fairgrounds currently used? I'm thinking of the State Fair Coliseum in perticular.
    The Joe Dumars Fieldhouse is in one of the buildings.

Sad about the State Fair, but to be honest, hadn't been since I was a kid. What I think was cool about the fair, or one of the things anyway. is that it brought a bit of the farm to the city. Nice to have city kids see some things kids in more rural areas take for granted. I think in addition to the Belle Isle "Nature Zoo" and the Detroit Zoo, Detroit could use a petting zoo, with ongoing farm & greenhouse operations for kids to see, including lots of animals for kids to interact with.

I won't be too upset about the State Fairgrounds IF something productive is done with the site. And the US Grant house ABSOLUTELY should be moved to Greenfield Village. Exactly the type of place HF had in mind when he built Greenfield Village. Great idea. Honestly, even if the State Fair at the Fairgrounds was preserved, the house should still be moved. More peope would see it there. Personal bias: I think Ulysses S. Grant was a good president, an indispensable general, and a truly great man. Last president for 80+ years to use federal troops to suppress white supremacists in the south, and to enfore civil and political rights for freed slaves.

Default Grant was Great, but...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Sad about the State Fair, but to be honest, hadn't been since I was a kid. What I think was cool about the fair, or one of the things anyway. is that it brought a bit of the farm to the city. Nice to have city kids see some things kids in more rural areas take for granted. I think in addition to the Belle Isle "Nature Zoo" and the Detroit Zoo, Detroit could use a petting zoo, with ongoing farm & greenhouse operations for kids to see, including lots of animals for kids to interact with.

I won't be too upset about the State Fairgrounds IF something productive is done with the site. And the US Grant house ABSOLUTELY should be moved to Greenfield Village. Exactly the type of place HF had in mind when he built Greenfield Village. Great idea. Honestly, even if the State Fair at the Fairgrounds was preserved, the house should still be moved. More peope would see it there. Personal bias: I think Ulysses S. Grant was a good president, an indispensable general, and a truly great man. Last president for 80+ years to use federal troops to suppress white supremacists in the south, and to enfore civil and political rights for freed slaves.
    But let us not forget that while a general, U.S. Grant ordered the deportation of all Jews from America. Lincoln countermanded the order, but Grant still issued it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaddik View Post
    But let us not forget that while a general, U.S. Grant ordered the deportation of all Jews from America. Lincoln countermanded the order, but Grant still issued it.
    Not from America, just from the zone in which his army was operating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaddik View Post
    This is sadly true. But I would keep a few things in mind about it: most non-Jews in the world at the time, inlcuding ones from rural Ohio who had never met a Jew, were anti-semitic. And, he was mortified by the order for the rest of his life. Two specific businessmen- who happened to be Jewish- were caught ripping off the Army in providing supplies. Grant foolishly thought based on that Jews were harming the Union cause [[as it was, 2 specific people, who happened to be Jewish) were harming the Union cause. And slight correction, Grant had ordered Jews deported from the military's Department of the West, of which he was commander, not from all of America. Thankfully the order was never carried out.