Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I think waste to energy plants are great, they just shouldn't be built right in the middle of a populated area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I think waste to energy plants are great, they just shouldn't be built right in the middle of a populated area.
    This. The thing is literally a hot mess. While the concept is ok, it shouldn’t be anywhere near a populated area. A better choice would be to consider placing this in some rural area up north that is in need of jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    This. The thing is literally a hot mess. While the concept is ok, it shouldn’t be anywhere near a populated area. A better choice would be to consider placing this in some rural area up north that is in need of jobs.
    Let's see - build a new incinerator upwind from Canada. They send their dripping garbage trucks of trash over to us - we get the energy, they get the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Why? Smell? or Pollution?

Pollution? I'm not an expert, but seems that there are two issues.

1) Is the burning complete, or is the remaining gas dangerous? I assume that if Europe is burning trash now, that its possible to get it down to a very acceptable level.

2) Is the smokestack doing its job? The idea of a smokestack is to both enable chimney effect, but also to get the discharge up high enough to ensure its distribution.

And this leads to:

Smell?

The stack should be keeping the smell of any discharge away from the local area. That's why Canada is concerned. They argue that they get hit with the discharge [[prevailing winds and all).

If there's smell nearby, its likely either a) The garbage itself as it arrives, which is never quite like roses, b) the nearby waste transfer station, c) the rendering plant [[is that still over there?).

So I'm not convinced that the actual trash burning is that smelly or dangerous to the nearby area.

Question? Where are these new trash burners being located?

Question #2? We were that advanced that our trash burning plants has already hit its life expectancy? Or was this plant closed for other reasons? Or are we getting ready for doing it 'like the Europeans'? [[Pardon me if the links explain any of this.)