Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    In some cases, the developer's name for an area or subdivision caught on and remained in use. In other areas, the developer's name didn't catch on and remains only in the legal property description. Where we llived on the northeast side, the subdivision name was "Nottingham Highlands". but i never heard any name for the neighborhood. We always said we lived on Nottingham between Yorkshire and Grayton or if someone wasn't familiar with the area we would say we lived near Harper and Whittier [[or Six Mile). Whittier wasn't exactly Six Mile Road, but the Six Mile bus ran down Whittier.
    Six Mile Road / McNichols became Seymour [[and then took a slight curve) and if Seymour hadn't ended at Kelly but continued straight on through the Denby High campus it would have been just south of Britain. So I always thought of Britain as being the equivalent of "Six Mile Road."

I grew up in that neighborhood [[Nottingham between Britain and Morang, as I've previously posted) and lived there in the 60's through 80's but never until this thread have I ever heard of the term "Nottingham Highlands."

In the days of the ONE, DEAR, NEAR, etc. mentioned earlier, our neighborhood association was known as Neighbors United, or NU - I think that was established in about the early 80s or so. This was bounded by Morang, Kelly, Whittier, and Harper. According to the following link [[which also names several other local neighborhoods and will be of interest to the original poster), it's now known as Yorkshire Woods.

http://www.usnapbac.org/about_us

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I grew up in that neighborhood [[Nottingham between Britain and Morang, as I've previously posted) and lived there in the 60's through 80's but never until this thread have I ever heard of the term "Nottingham Highlands."

This was bounded by Morang, Kelly, Whittier, and Harper. According to the following link [[which also names several other local neighborhoods and will be of interest to the original poster), it's now known as Yorkshire Woods.

http://www.usnapbac.org/about_us
    "Nottingham Highlands" was the name on the survey plat which I saw when my parents were selling their house in 1954. I am not sure exactly what the boundaries of the "Nottingham Highlands" subdivision was. It may only have covered a couple of blocks.

Yorkshire was the last street paved in that area. Right up to 1954 when we left, Yorkshire was a gravel road which the city dutifully oiled once a year and which we kids would dutifully track the fresh oil on our shoes into the house. I can remember when they paved Grayton, somewhere around 1951. Prior to that, Grayton was a gravel road though it didn't seem to get oiled as often as Yorkshire and you could kick up a cloud of dust along Grayton.

...and amazingly, in the time I was there, Grayton was the only of the three east-west sidestreets in that area that was actually had good quality pavement clear from Kelly to I-94. Britain and to a lesser extent Yorkshire - especially between McKinney and Lansdowne or so - were the streets I remember as having tar-covered, bumpy sections. They must have fixed Grayton and left the other two alone!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    ...and amazingly, in the time I was there, Grayton was the only of the three east-west sidestreets in that area that was actually had good quality pavement clear from Kelly to I-94. Britain and to a lesser extent Yorkshire - especially between McKinney and Lansdowne or so - were the streets I remember as having tar-covered, bumpy sections. They must have fixed Grayton and left the other two alone!
    I used to walk to Denby High School from Nottingham and Grayton to Kelly and Grayton where the school was. They had paved Grayton by that time. Very few houses faced Grayton. The houses along Grayton were all the corner houses of the north-south streets.