Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

As a life long Detroiter it is sad to see what has happened to Dexter and other once nice thoroughfares. I rarely drive down it now. It's simply not safe and while liquor stores like this are usually harshly judged for their um seeming 'omni-presence', they have an importance beyond selling booze to the mostly 'captive audience' they serve who often cannot go elsewhere.

From the video and testimonies and comments it's obviously this man was an integral fixture of that area. And while there is this loved/ hate relationship being played out daily on both ends relative to Caldean and Arabic merchants and Detroiters, I'd say these merchants have much to contend with. And if they leave it would be interesting to see who'd replace them?

Who else has financial and social business infrastructure or the 'nerve' to set up shop and attempt to strive as the Arab, Caldean and Korean's do daily....?

If this kind of thing keeps up and they finally give up and get out of Detroit the consumers of their goods will have even fewer options.
    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I get so sick of this shit.

So what happens when the Chaldeans don't want to operate businesses in the city anymore because they're getting killed by the local population? The gas station owners are already scared to death. Even with hyper security unknown in the rest of the civilized world they're still getting massacred. Then when they're gone there will be literally NO retail left. They're all that's going on outside of downtown. There's going to be nothing left to steal in this godforsaken city. Then what?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-02-12 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As a life long Detroiter it is sad to see what has happened to Dexter and other once nice thoroughfares.
    I'm having a hard time remembering when Dexter was a nice thoroughfare. I remember it as one of the worst of the worst many years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm having a hard time remembering when Dexter was a nice thoroughfare. I remember it as one of the worst of the worst many years back.
    While Dexter near Davison has been going downhill since the 1970s, at least through the early 1990s that thoroughfare, like most in inner-city Detroit, still had some semblance of lower-end retail establishments that lined the street. Since the early 1990s, the decline has accelrated triple fold.

As you can see in the picture, that liquor store was about the only retail establishment left on that part of Dexter.

You are asking for an "old-time" schooling from Jjaba with that comment!

Paging Jjaba, on the Dexter/Davison bus... where art thou?

It was nicer back in the 70's up thru early 90's. I used to see a chiropractor on Dexter and I can remember an African, jazz dance and martial arts studio in one of the store fronts on Dexter. Several independent shops and stores flanked Davison and Dexter... nearly all gone.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-12 at 09:27 AM.