Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Do you mean this place? Hungarian Rhapsody?

Quote Originally Posted by jh0 View Post
    Do you mean this place? Hungarian Rhapsody?
    That place is good :-)

Would love to find a place closer to downtown that I could hit up for lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    That place is good :-)

Would love to find a place closer to downtown that I could hit up for lunch!
    How about Kovacs?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    How about Kovacs?
    Kovac's hasn't been a Hungarian restaurant for many years, if it ever was at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Kovac's hasn't been a Hungarian restaurant for many years, if it ever was at all.
    Holy smokes has it been that long since I've been there? They used to have great chicken soup and Hungarian fare for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Holy smokes has it been that long since I've been there? They used to have great chicken soup and Hungarian fare for lunch.
    DP, Kovac's is still open. My comment was though Kovac's served some Hungarian dishes, it was never truly a Hungarian restaurant. You actually found more Hungarian dishes at a Polish owned, roadhouse-style, restaurant down the street - Joey's Stables. And then, of course, at Al's on West End. Al's was fortunate to close when it did. The food and service had degenerated in their last few years. Hungarian Village on Springwell, off of I-75, was a good place also. It closed many years ago. I'll let someone else here date its closure. I've lost track of the years.

Kovacs had sandwiches and soup when I used to go there in the early 90's. Nobody made better soup than Steve's mother. Steve was 75, his mother was the cook. That was the cleanest bar I had ever been in when he was alive. The food wasn't actually Hungarian as much as sandwiches and soup with a Hungaian touch. Like a whole slice of onion on the sandwiches, etc.

I haven't been to Kovacs in a couple of years, did it finally sell?