Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Name:  Beaubien Blvd at East Congress.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  93.8 KB

Sleeping on the Sidewalk...

Beaubien Boulevard at East Congress Street in Greektown near the Detroiter Bar and Nikki's Lounge...

[[Canon 1D Mk IV camera, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens)

Haven't been posting here in a while but great photo's night-timer. Particularly the ones of Django.
    Last edited by Maof; December-28-22 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Haven't been posting here in a while but great photo's night-timer. Particularly the ones of Django.
    Likewise, I haven't been posting here for a while, either.

I promised you all a 'Photo a Day from Detroit', but I am usually in Australia, and at present I am in Singapore and Malaysia for a few weeks, near the Equator.

So, although I can't really promise "a photo a day", I will post my pix here whenever I have time... here's a couple more of my shots of 'Django' [[Matthew Loflin Davis)...

This one was shot in Midtown at the intersection of Park Avenue and Temple Street back in 2014 on my first visit to Detroit... he was using one of my cameras to take photos.

I guess the Park Avenue/Midtown area is super-expensive by now.

Name:  IMG_0531.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  164.3 KB

I took this shot of Django on the rooftop of the Detroit Grand Trunk Cold Storage Building [[I think that's what is called) near Ferry and Chene Streets...

Name:  00010135.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  94.8 KB

Django is an ache, as is Ravine and Gannon and so many others. To have been their friend and to morn their loss is an ache. I can’t frame the emotion.

^ For sure G. Sorely missed.

^^^
    Very missed...

Stromberg2

Prayers and condolences

^^So many DYes friends greatly missed. Their impact on our collective memory still resonates.

I want to reinvigorate this post...

I promised you "a Photo a Day from Detroit" but I am usually in Australia, which is where I am right now...

I am sifting through my back-catalog of photos and I will add more, bit by bit...

I took this photo on Antietam Avenue near Gratiot on my very first night in Detroit back in 2014... I had arrived on a late flight... the building in the foreground is the Nellie Leland School, now known as the Leland Lofts... more soon...

Name:  AL-IMG_0481-2-2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  141.1 KB

[[Canon 1D Mark IV camera, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 II lens)
    Last edited by night-timer; March-24-24 at 01:43 AM.

Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  169.9 KB

The Nancy Brown Peace Carillon on Belle Isle... the structure looks kinda pointless and purposes-less to me, but Belle Isle is definitely a high-point of Detroit attractions...

[[Canon 1D Mark IV camera, Canon T-SE 17mm f/4 lens.)

Name:  IMG_0325.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  70.6 KB

One of my favourite Detroit architectural wonders... Michigan Central Station [[MCS) at nightfall.

I always hoped that the MCS building [[and the Book Tower downtown) would be rescued and re-purposed... and luckily this has now happened.

[[Canon 1D Mark IV camera, Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 lens.)
    Last edited by night-timer; March-24-24 at 01:44 AM.

Excellent work NT!

I love night photos. Thank you for sharing.

Name:  Packard_7313.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  96.1 KB

Me [[night-timer) photographed by Steve Neavling, the Motor City Muck Raker, at the corner of Park and Sproat Streets in the Case Corridor, where the Red Wings Ice Arena now stands.

Name:  IMG_0329 Panorama.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  39.3 KB

A panorama of Fisher Body Plant # 21 in Milwaukee Junction. I read somewhere on this forum that the building is being redeveloped.

There were also plans, around a decade ago, for the German entrepreneur Dimitri Hegemann [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Hegemann) to convert Fisher 21 into artists' residences and the nightclub called 'Tresor', the German word for treasure.

His project appears to have never eventuated, a little like Palazuelo's plans for the Packard Plant with its promise of new housing and retail.
    Last edited by night-timer; March-25-24 at 06:21 PM.

I can't believe that there are people who think these horribly defacing graffiti drawings are nice. They are the brainchilds of goons, y'know. :[[

Name:  IMG_0142-2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  99.4 KB

A cyclist rides along Beaubien Boulevard between the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant Museum and the disused Fisher Body Plant # 23.

[[Canon 1D Mark IV camera, Canon TS-E 17mm f4 lens.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I can't believe that there are people who think these horribly defacing graffiti drawings are nice. They are the brainchilds of goons, y'know. :[[
    Agreed, but it's as old as civilization.

Name:  IMG_0531-2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  54.3 KB

Michigan Central by Moonlight... I never tire of photographing or admiring this building.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Name:  IMG_0531-2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  54.3 KB

Michigan Central by Moonlight... I never tire of photographing or admiring this building.

Yessssssss to using a tilt-shift and fixing those verticals! Great images.

Thanks for the nice images night-timer. Is that image of you taken with both the Eddystone [[restored) and sadly demolished Park Avenue Hotels?

Have you seen the 2.5 acre Piet Oudolf Perennial Garden next to the Nancy Brown Carillon? The tower fits nicely into the garden landscape. Here is a video of the gardens... but not at full bloom...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKlfUW_QwMw

Name:  IMG_0218.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  79.7 KB

I have quite a few images of Belle Isle, but I'm not sure about the garden area you described.

The photo of me taken by Steve Neavling was at the intersection of Park and Sproat Streets. That's the Harbor Light Apartments and the Eddystone Hotel.

I believe the Park Avenue Hotel was down a block or two, closer towards downtown.

I've been back to that area since my Eddystone photo was taken, after they built the new ice arena. From memory, I think they refurbished the Eddystone and demolished the Harbor Light.

Speaking of Midtown and Cass Corridor landmarks, I'm trying to remember the name of a tiny and rundown bar near that area. I think it was on Clifford Street [[or Henry Street) between Woodward and Cass. The place was small. Does anyone know the name of it, or have photos? It would've been demo'd to make way for Caesar's Arena. It isn't Harry's or Stadium Liquor, but it's definitely not there anymore.
    Last edited by night-timer; March-28-24 at 04:14 AM.

The Comet Bar?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    The Comet Bar?

Stromberg2
    That rings a bell... I think you could be right... I'll check it out online.

And I assume the Comet Bar is now gone?

Am I the only one who misses the more gritty and run-down Detroit?

I mean, c'mon, that's what you guys are famous for... and not everyone judges you harshly for it. This website and forum probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for Lowell's Fabulous Ruins of Detroit photos!

Name:  IMG_0586.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  110.8 KB

No prizes for guessing where this photo was taken... Gratiot at Riopelle. Shot with my iPhone. If my memory serves me correctly, this area is near Eastern Market?
    Last edited by night-timer; March-30-24 at 02:12 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast