Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Not for or against, at the moment I'm on the fence. But, if it "makes sense" to rip out all of the trees and such because they may become hiding spots for villains and such, I have to ask does it really make sense to pave a path in the cut? Perhaps it makes more sense to improve the streets for bicycle traffic?? There was alot of money pumped into this thing, and it's going to take alot of money to keep it the way it is, if in 5-10 years the riverfront can't continue to maintain the cut, it will revert back to it's natural state [[the new cut is not natural in any form.) I understand the utopic idea this yellow brick road suggests, and I don't mean to be a neighsayer, but the whole effort just seems a bit half-hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Not for or against, at the moment I'm on the fence. But, if it "makes sense" to rip out all of the trees and such because they may become hiding spots for villains and such, I have to ask does it really make sense to pave a path in the cut? Perhaps it makes more sense to improve the streets for bicycle traffic?? There was alot of money pumped into this thing, and it's going to take alot of money to keep it the way it is, if in 5-10 years the riverfront can't continue to maintain the cut, it will revert back to it's natural state [[the new cut is not natural in any form.) I understand the utopic idea this yellow brick road suggests, and I don't mean to be a neighsayer, but the whole effort just seems a bit half-hearted.
    It provided an opportunity for grade separated access to the riverfront without having to cross roads. That's safer for cyclists and pedestrians. The next issue was crime. There was a solution to that too by ripping out all the brush that I don't see any point complaining about.

It would be embarrassing if this couldn't be maintained. It doesn't seem to be a problem for most cities, whether privately or publicly financed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It would be embarrassing if this couldn't be maintained. It doesn't seem to be a problem for most cities, whether privately or publicly financed.
    It shouldn't be a problem here either. The Dequindre Cut has an endowment which is expected to cover its maintenance costs in perpetuity.

Yeah, the old cut was filled with wonderful plant and animal life.... Look at this beautiful forest:

Attachment 1462

Attachment 1463

The new bike/walk path with adjacent landscaping is definitely a regression.... Should have left it in its beautiful wildlife state:

Attachment 1464

To argue that the old Cut was better in any way shape or form for the City and its residents is ridiculous and laughable.