Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Detroit's Meijer Grand Opening Discussion

Jump to UPDATED Discussion.

Original July 2013 thread starting post is below.
    ===============================
    For those who aren't aware, The Meijer at 8 Mile and Woodward had its grand opening today.

Needless to say, I was impressed. It seemed like your typical Meijer store. It was on jam too, as I'd swear everybody and their momma from all over the city and inner ring suburbs paid a visit to the store today [[granted, the Kroger at 7 Mile and Gratiot was the same way when it first opened)

There were some minor design differences though, such as the interior color being mostly black/brown/white versus the typical red/blue in most other stores. Also, this location only has door in and out [[I'm guessing a subtle way to limit the amount of shrinkage, as security will only have to monitor one door).

Although majority of the shoppers were black, there seemed to be a fair amount Caucasian shoppers mixed in there as well, granted I would say it was less diverse than the Whole Foods in Midtown. Same goes for the employees.

I also like how easy it is to get in and out of the store from 8 Mile, thanks to the Michigan U-Turn and the traffic signal they put at the entrance.

Quite frankly, given this location is just about as close to my neighborhood in NE Detroit as the Roseville and Warren stores, I may start coming here to do any of my food or other shopping.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-25-13 at 09:52 PM.

I'll visit soon. I wonder was the grand opening ceremony filmed?

As a sidebar, in addition to the Meijer, Detroit's first K&G Fashion Superstore and Petco have opened with far less fanfare.

So now you no longer have to leave the city to buy specialty pet supplies for your pets, or for pet grooming. You also no longer have to leave the city to buy dress clothes at reasonable prices.

Although the Marshall sign is up, it has not opened as of yet. There's also a Dots that will be opening soon, in addition to a Payless Shoe Source that's already open.

This may be the only Meijers that isn't open 24 hours a day though.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As a sidebar, in addition to the Meijer, Detroit's first K&G Fashion Superstore and Petco have opened with far less fanfare.

So now you no longer have to leave the city to buy specialty pet supplies for your pets, or for pet grooming.
    You didn't have to leave for pet supplies before--I like Pet Supplies Plus better than Petco anyway, and the store on Livernois is good. No grooming there though.

There wasn't any of the usual BS that makes me drop a store.

Electronics weren't locked behind glass.

There was no bag checker. I'll put up with at a place I signed up to shop at. But a trashy low rent place like Walmart? Please.

It's closer than hopping on the lodge to go to Southfield. If it stays clean I'll keep going.

It's crazy that this is probably the only place in the city I can buy a new videogame console [[I've seen a few game shops on Woodward near Highland Park but I can't speak to the quality).

Any decent retail in this city that isn't crappy party stores, hair braiding joints and wig shops is most welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Probably true for Metro Detroit [[maybe even the whole state)...but I know many of the "inner ring" suburban Chicago locations have the same hours as Detroit's.

let the shoplifting begin

Most of the Meijers I've been to have two entrances one of which is closed later at night. This one has only one entrance with a guard stationed in the middle. Don't know if this is how they are building them now or if this is the urban store configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Is it really not 24 hours? That is really strange, certainly have never seen that before.

Yes I saw on the website 6am-11pm hopefully it will one day be 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Yes I saw on the website 6am-11pm hopefully it will one day be 24/7
    Yeah I looked as well. Very odd, I wonder if this is the first. That's one of the things that I really love about Meijer, and could have influenced me specifically to go to this one [[a lot of stuff closes early in the city).

Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? Meijers is smart. Why stay open 24 hours and have the predators waiting for the few people going in and coming out of the store and then have news stories on TV and radio reporting on the crimes going on in the parking lot in the early morning hours? This just scares away people who would normally go to the store during regular business hours. Is Whole Foods open 24 hours? Maybe one day they'll be open 24/7. Remember: Detroit ain't paradise yet.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? ...
    There are a lot of people who don't work 9-5. I work nights and weekends and often do my shopping during odd hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    There are a lot of people who don't work 9-5. I work nights and weekends and often do my shopping during odd hours.
    Supermarkets figured that since the store would be open in the wee hours for the guys restocking the shelves, the cost of keeping open one checkout line for the night owl shoppers was minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Who in the hell needs to be in a grocery store after 11 pm anyway? Meijers is smart. Why stay open 24 hours and have the predators waiting for the few people going in and coming out of the store and then have news stories on TV and radio reporting on the crimes going on in the parking lot in the early morning hours? This just scares away people who would normally go to the store during regular business hours. Is Whole Foods open 24 hours? Maybe one day they'll be open 24/7. Remember: Detroit ain't paradise yet.
    Kmart operated two stores in the city 24/7 and I don't remember hearing of any this stuff you're talking about. Granted, one of those locations is now a Home Depot and the other I don't think is 24/7 now, I don't remember any news coverage of any crimes being committed in the parking lots of those stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    I used to work those same kind of hours too, so I relate to what you're saying. However, nowadays Meijer doesn't have cashiers at any of their stores after a certain time and you have to go through the self checkout. That's only convenient if you have a few things to purchase. If you have a lot of things to purchase you'd be better off going before 11pm anyway. So, in that regard, the whole store might as well close at 11pm. That way, at least you don't have to climb over all the stock in the aisles.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Kmart operated two stores in the city 24/7 and I don't remember hearing of any this stuff you're talking about. Granted, one of those locations is now a Home Depot and the other I don't think is 24/7 now, I don't remember any news coverage of any crimes being committed in the parking lots of those stores.
    According to K-Mart's website it is closed a half hour a day!

Hours:
    Mon: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Tue: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Wed: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Thu: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Fri: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Sat: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm
    Sun: 12:15 am - 11:45 pm

Another curiosity is that when you query on K-Mart stores in Detroit, this one is listed #8. It probably has to do with its being way in the NW side and a haul from City Hall. [[The other 7 stores are probably closer, but in the burbs).

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    let the shoplifting begin
    let them start at django's place

Proximity to bus stop sketches it out some. The neighborhood to the SE isnt much of a neighborhood anymore. Empty lots & abandos but still, not an area I would select to live. Corner at State Fair and Woodward is another kind of market. Store stands a chance though. It is probably the cheapest option for quality food and other items in the city. People in Hazel Park and Ferndale who like Meijer probably go there instead of the 14 mile store.

I am curious about the long-term stability of the store. The history of big box retailers in the city hasn't really been that successful lately [[duh). The location helps a lot. Woodward & 8 Mile is centralized and close to middle-class/wealthy neighborhoods in the city...and could therefore theoretically survive if only Detroiters in the area went there with little suburban patronage [[because, let's face it...a lot of suburbanites along Woodward will still opt for Royal Oak.

I find the less-than-24-hours schedule and single entrance slightly demeaning...though it's better than nothing at all. And truthfully, I know that shoplifting is a concern. Late-night shoplifting is a concern in any 24-hour store...no matter location...so I could imagine reduced hours was done a lot for that reason. At least those that live in the neighborhoods to the north and west won't be complaining about increased noise and traffic at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Late-night shoplifting is a concern in any 24-hour store...no matter location...so I could imagine reduced hours was done a lot for that reason.
    I heard an interview with one of the mgt from Meijer who said it wasn't going to be 24 hrs because they wanted consistency with the other stores in that strip mall that close earlier. Plus, they figured most of their customers rely on public transportation, & they wanted to be open during hours of more frequent bus service.

Incidentally, Meijer stores in Ohio ARE NOT 24/7.

I believe the Meijers near Harper and 13ish is not/was not 24 hours either. Unless that was holidays, because I was in search of some last minute gifts. I remember calling.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For those who aren't aware, The Meijer at 8 Mile and Woodward had its grand opening today.

Needless to say, I was impressed. It seemed like your typical Meijer store. It was on jam too, as I'd swear everybody and their momma from all over the city and inner ring suburbs paid a visit to the store today [[granted, the Kroger at 7 Mile and Gratiot was the same way when it first opened)

There were some minor design differences though, such as the interior color being mostly black/brown/white versus the typical red/blue in most other stores. Also, this location only has door in and out [[I'm guessing a subtle way to limit the amount of shrinkage, as security will only have to monitor one door).

Although majority of the shoppers were black, there seemed to be a fair amount Caucasian shoppers mixed in there as well, granted I would say it was less diverse than the Whole Foods in Midtown. Same goes for the employees.

I also like how easy it is to get in and out of the store from 8 Mile, thanks to the Michigan U-Turn and the traffic signal they put at the entrance.

Quite frankly, given this location is just about as close to my neighborhood in NE Detroit as the Roseville and Warren stores, I may start coming here to do any of my food or other shopping.
    Well you beat me to it ! :-) I agree with pretty much everything you said you hit it right on the head !
    I was really impressed also they really pulled all the stop , they really went all out ! it's a beautiful store , its set up is different than typical store and the color scheme is different also the layout is a little different .

You description was dead on . I also notice the make up of the people shopping , I notice all types and yes even Caucasian , so they aren't too afraid to venture across 8 mile :-)

If they keep it clean and safe people will keep coming , it's really close to my house so I will be shopping there . All and all a good thing

Go check it out you will be impressed !

Detroit a food desert no more !?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; July-26-13 at 01:32 PM. Reason: edit

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast