Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

View Poll Results: Do you know of "Rose Terrace" the Anna Dodge Dillman residence?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 82.67%
  • No

13 17.33%

Thread: Rose Terrace

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    We have discussed Rose Terrace as well as many other grand homes in great detail for years on here. Dream was probably the most knowledgeable when it came to finding out exact property info. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had at least 30 threads on DY in the last 8 years or so concerning grand estates. You might also want to look into doing something about Harbor Hill, which was John Dodge’s unfinished estate in GP.
    I bought a complete auction book with a bunch of goodies and articles tucked in it at King Books last year for $30. Great find indeed. Understand that rose terrace was completed during the Depression, when many great homes were being torn down. It was essentially America’s last great house.I remember emailing a Dodge descendent and he said he and his family members really had little memorabilia or photos from the great era of the family.
    I did a search when I first came to this site. I only found a few posts that mentioned Rose Terrace. Is there a different way to find these older posts you speak of? Yes, in this video I saw the narrator talks of steel mills, quarries and such being opened during the depression just to build the place. Harbor Hill? - are there ruins of the place?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseTerrace View Post
    I did a search when I first came to this site. I only found a few posts that mentioned Rose Terrace. Is there a different way to find these older posts you speak of? Yes, in this video I saw the narrator talks of steel mills, quarries and such being opened during the depression just to build the place. Harbor Hill? - are there ruins of the place?
    http://www.gphistorical.org/autobarons/dodge/index.htm

"In 1918, to be closer to his brother, John purchased a large site with water frontage in Grosse Pointe Farms. John intended to build the largest home in the Detroit area, with 110 rooms and 24 baths. He added a peninsula with dock to this land for his new 104-foot power cruiser.

In January, 1920, the Dodge brothers attended the New York Auto Show. While at this show, both brothers were stricken by pneumonia. Tragically, while Horace survived, John died on January 14, 1920. Horace was devastated by the loss and never recovered, following his beloved brother in death on December 10, 1920. The brothers were once again together, now in the imposing mausoleum they had built in Woodlawn Cemetery in 1913.

In 1923, Matilda Dodge sold the Boston Boulevard house and moved into a charming three-story home on Lincoln Road, just a few doors from Jefferson Avenue and her sister-in-law's "Rose Terrace." She still had not decided whether or not to complete her late husband’s dream house on Lake Shore Drive [[although the greenhouse was fully operational and was eventually sold to her head gardener, Mr. DePetris).

Matilda Dodge remarried in 1925. She and her second husband, Alfred Wilson, built Meadowbrook Hall on the Rochester farm property. This house, completed in 1929, incorporated many details [[windows, stonework, etc.) removed from the unfinished Lake Shore Drive mansion, surely sealing its fate. The shell of this house was finally dismantled in 1940. Today, this site is covered by homes on Harbor Hill and the man-made peninsula is the private reserve of the street’s residents."