Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Climate change probably did contribute to the events that you are mentioning.
    It's just funny that people always start screaming "Global Warming!!!" or "Climate Change!!!" whenever we have a warmer than normal period of weather, but are quiet as a mouse when we have colder or snowier than normal period of weather.

In reality, it's all BS. These sorts of ups and downs have happened many times in Detroit's past 125 years of weather records and I'm sure they will continue to happen over the next 125 years.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-03-16 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's just funny that people always start screaming "Global Warming!!!" or "Climate Change!!!" whenever we have a warmer than normal period of weather, but are quiet as a mouse when we have colder or snowier than normal period of weather.

In reality, it's all BS. These sorts of ups and downs have happened many times in Detroit's past 125 years of weather records and I'm sure they will continue to happen over the next 125 years.
    Come on folks... One year, one game, one... whatever doesn't make a trend.

I did, HOWEVER, see a chart of the average temperatures for the last 30 years.

There IS a trend... It is warmer.

Hasn't NOAA been measuring temperatures for decades, maybe centuries.

Can we not get an undergraduate student who has taken statistics and calculate the trend line for all of those data points?

Despite what some Congressmen say, one doesn't have to be a 'scientist' to understand this type of data. If Congressmen can understand econometric data, they should be able to understand this type of data.

It would make a nice paper for undergraduate statistics [[get a statistical package and do linear regression).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-03-16 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    ... I did, HOWEVER, see a chart of the average temperatures for the last 30 years.

There IS a trend... It is warmer....
    That's about as clear as it could get. I don't know what's left to argue about. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's about as clear as it could get. I don't know what's left to argue about. <shrug>
    We can quibble over how we discuss the subject including statements that some might make that the data does not 'prove' this point or that. [[that is always a convenient argument. Would someone deny that a similar trend, opposite direction, of Detroit's population is a trend? That is, the data for the last 50 years shows a decided trend in population loss for Detroit.).

However, that graph is compelling in that it has yearly averages for 1 1/4 centuries and has both the global temperatures and carbon dioxide levels both plotted [[the double Y axis graph).

As such one can see year-to-year variability yet the trend is undeniable.

From an explanatory point one can easily correlate the data to increases in world population, industrialization esp. in some countries [[e.g., China, etc.).