Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
People still want to shop at these malls, they are not going anywhere any time soon, just like going to the movies, going to the mall is a experience, it give people something to do. How much fun is it to never leave your home and just buy shit on-line, people need to get out. No wonder all these kids are so over weight, they trade playing basketball outside to playing basketball on ps3.
Wow. You know there are things to do outside the house besides buy things?

That mess aside, I don't know why any of you seem to think there is going to be some thousand year Macomb Township Reich and that these malls "aren't going anywhere." Correct, they're not going away tomorrow, or five years from now, or ten years from now. The pattern of migration and abandonment in Metro Detroit is about 50 years. Neighborhoods in Detroit that were annexed as farmland within 50 years had not only been completely developed but were already emptied out from white flight.

Now look at the inner ring burbs [[and their malls.) Lord knows 50 years ago south Warren and Eastland Malls were the Macomb Townships and Partridge Creeks of their days. What shitholes they are now! While the inner ring burbs are certainly not as divested as Detroit [[or likely ever will be) they're looking pretty shitty these days, and their malls especially [[the ones that are still open). Could you even imagine what the area around Hall Road will look like in 50 years? Again, I'm not saying it's going to be Brightmooresque, but you have the additional problem of everything being a big box or the mall. You can't repurpose it for anything but another big box [[so it sits empty) and you're left with a closed mall. With all that shoddy construction, I doubt those houses or that mall can even be PHYSICALLY sustained that long. When are we going to think in the long term here? And I said transit one damn time so get over it.