Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

In my opinion, a person who is not married [[or at least in a long-term relationship) and without kids should think twice before buying a house. Mobility is one of the great assets such a person has, and buying a house definitely devalues that asset.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    In my opinion, a person who is not married [[or at least in a long-term relationship) and without kids should think twice before buying a house. Mobility is one of the great assets such a person has, and buying a house definitely devalues that asset.

I understand that sentiment but to me it seems the opposite.

Many of detroits problems such as crime and schools are a bigger factor for families than for say a single guy just starting out. I just got done renting a series of apartments and moved every year. I'm excited about the chance to have a place of my own. Plus which makes you feel more trapped, paying 20-25k in cash for a house or being 100k underwater on your house in the suburbs that you can't sell either. Don't get me wrong I'm a little nervous of being stuck but I don't see myself relocating anytime soon or ever. I'm also only considering neighborhoods that seem to have a bright future, i certainly wouldn't buy anywhere just because its cheap.

It'll be years before i even start thinking of starting a family so now seems a logical time to take a few risks. Hopefully by the time i get to that point the school situation improves or there will at least be plenty of alternatives [[for instance in EEV and the far east side you see lots of yard signs for the st Clare school in GPP). I'd hate to pay lots in tuition but hey at least theres no mortgage payment.

One last point the expression "its easier to ask forgiveness than permission" comes to mind when starting a relationship. If you already live in the city and can show that your neighborhood is solid you have a better chance of selling the city to a significant other as opposed to just picking up and moving from the burbs.

just my 2 cents