Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    It's fairly easy to place interesting businesses in outlots of businesses that have existing lots. It's called zoning overlays. All you need is a plan, and with the correct amount of cash, presto, a walkable community that actually has someplace interesting to walk to.

Why not? They do it all the time along Woodward, and all along the myriad stretches of freeway within Detroit. Another interesting feature is something that you may not be aware of. Traffic lights can be placed almost anywhere these days. Amazing technology. Lets you cross at the light.

Yeah damn those city planners that wanted a barrier to keep the mall customers out of people's back yard. I suppose they could have gotten a ladder or something if they really wanted to pop over. And I really love my industry right next to me... Nothing like waking up to the sound of scrap metal hitting the ground or the thump of a steel press. Ask the people around the Packard Plant how they like their neighbor.

Really? Is that why they gutted the trolley cars? Built the freeways? Wow.
    Well yeah, and it would be pretty easy for Detroit to build it's own version of Downtown Dubai. All you need is a plan, and with the correct amount of cash, presto, Detroit could have the world's tallest skyscrapers.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Well yeah, and it would be pretty easy for Detroit to build it's own version of Downtown Dubai. All you need is a plan, and with the correct amount of cash, presto, Detroit could have the world's tallest skyscrapers.
    Then they'd stay empty and become fodder for the scrappers and urban explorers. Or suck the life out of the rest of Downtown. Building more skyscrapers is most definitely unsustainable. Building a walkable, modern, sustainable, energy efficient low rise area is.