Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

It's a crazy show, but I quite enjoy it. Living here in Las Vegas, I went to the pawn shop that's featured on "Pawn Stars". Tourists were arriving literally by the bus load. Wanted to sell my autograph of Neil Armstrong, but they wouldn't look at it without authentication [[which I subsequently got, but decided to keep the darn thing). That aside, if you plan on visiting the store from the Vegas show, plan on waiting in line for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wanted to sell my autograph of Neil Armstrong, but they wouldn't look at it without authentication [[which I subsequently got, but decided to keep the darn thing).
    That dopey place seems to be the most popular spot in Vegas, if you've authenticated your Armstrong signature Ray1936, keep it. Probably based on the advice of Detroiter Charles Lindbergh, Armstrong DOES NOT like giving autographs or interacting in public. http://books.google.com/books?id=dAe...ed=0CEEQ6AEwAA

Most reality shows are fake to the point of annoyance

SteveJ Guest

Pawn shops are to exploit the poor. I can't believe how stupid some of these people are selling unique items from 200 years ago for $200 and you know the pawn shop will sell it for 10 times the amount.

Am I the only one embarrassed by this show?

those shows are all fake. i work in the industry and know.
    the only one that is real is 'COPS'.
    my experience with 'hardcore pawn' is that a production assistant thought of the whole scenario for my brother and family. it went like this.
    since he had a camera to take photos of him & family with the stars of the show, she suggested that he was there to sell the camera because the had no money to get back to Georgia, then argue about the price and get kicked out of the store causing my niece and nephew cry about how they were man-handling their dad.
    quite funny, but all staged.
    take it for what it is.

Is it true that ex-Red Wing Darren McCarty took a job there?

I vaguely remember hearing something about him taking on something there. Lord knows it was better than his part time gig on the radio where I thought he was vastly overwhelmed and I thought he was ill prepared to talk about things other than hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Is it true that ex-Red Wing Darren McCarty took a job there?
    I never bought a Slurpee from Denny McLain. Chinmen, i too know guys who've crewed up on "COPS"-it's been on the air long enough, eh?-what they WILL do is edit out police misbehavior. Another funny thing is if a suspect swears they bleep it, but if the cop utters an obscenity they simply edit out his entire sentence. But if COPS is the top, & "Operacion Repo" the basement of faked reality tv, I think "Truck Stop Missouri" [[now "Truckstop USA" the most annoyingly faked.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Lord knows it was better than his part time gig on the radio where I thought he was vastly overwhelmed and I thought he was ill prepared to talk about things other than hockey.
    Darren McCarty was an even worse on air personality than Jeff Riger and that's saying something.

He is [[or was -- I am hoping) simply awful on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    those shows are all fake. i work in the industry and know.
    the only one that is real is 'COPS'.
    my experience with 'hardcore pawn' is that a production assistant thought of the whole scenario for my brother and family. it went like this.
    since he had a camera to take photos of him & family with the stars of the show, she suggested that he was there to sell the camera because the had no money to get back to Georgia, then argue about the price and get kicked out of the store causing my niece and nephew cry about how they were man-handling their dad.
    quite funny, but all staged.
    take it for what it is.
    I only watched a few shows but I was disgusted by the entire thing and the exploitation of the "customers". Funny that all of the crazy actors are pretending to be ignorant ghetto thugs and skanks. What tipped me off was one of their early shows where this black woman needed to pawn something to pay for her father's funeral. She looked a hot mess and the whole story just sounded fake. She comes back a day or two later and she didn't look as if she'd bathed or slept and her hair was still a mess. She came back to thank them for helping her so much so she could bury her father. I was just done with that show and besides, I can't stand looking at that ugly daughter that works there, she hurts my eyes and my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I was just done with that show and besides, I can't stand looking at that ugly daughter that works there, she hurts my eyes and my ears.
    Too funny..... I thought the same thing the gal is frickin hideious, also not to mention the complete disrespect the young lad "Mr know it all" Seth gives to the old man.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Am I the only one embarrassed by this show?
    No.... no you are not....

im not from detroit but i work there. the truly down and out looking people in there do NOT portray detroit in ANY KIND of good light...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    That dopey place seems to be the most popular spot in Vegas, if you've authenticated your Armstrong signature Ray1936, keep it. Probably based on the advice of Detroiter Charles Lindbergh, Armstrong DOES NOT like giving autographs or interacting in public.
    Yeah, I've had it mounted on a nice display frame with some corresponding items, and it looks beautiful in my hallway. If I ever do sell it, I'll do it on ebay where some are getting four figures for a smiliar 'graph.