Personally, I don't necessarily mind that this building is being torn down. For one, rest assured - the city still has plenty of vacant buildings in the downtown area. Two, I'm not a big fan of what happened to downtown in the 1920s and 1960s, when livable, human scale 2- to 4-story buildings where knocked down in favor of massive skyscrapers that only have a level or two open to the public.

Honestly, if you ask me, from an average pedestrian's perspective, buildings like the Fisher were/are just glorified "proto"-malls, enclosed areas for shopping and small offices. The rest of the floors are generally inaccessible and just offices, anyway. If more of downtown still looked like Greektown, it would probably be a much more viable place. Instead, we fight perpetual battles regarding the "lack" of parking for the beloved behemoths, and the poverty of evening foot traffic such buildings tend to create.

Even Brooklyn has this problem. The central businesses district is a spooky ghost town at night. Everything that's happening is in the neighborhoods, which were built to human scale. Funny. Imagine that.