Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Show me actual evidence that Detroit has rebounded. Actual verifiable data. No "I waited at Slows for 2 hours last week, therefore Detroit has rebounded" nonsense.

What has happened since 2008 that you find so magical? The city is smaller, poorer, and "broker" than back then.
    Of course we haven't fully rebounded, but we have turned a corner toward rebound.

I would say the opening of the Book Cadillac had a huge impact on the city. No one believed in 2000 that it could be restored and re-used and within a decade it was back to being Detroit's luxury hotel. It lead the way for the Broderick, Whitney, various Merchant Row buildings to be re-habed and reused.

Indeed the city is smaller, poorer, and broker but I think the bankruptcy will help to turn around those images. But you can't deny that from 1980-mid 2000s, downtown Detroit wasn't really relevant in the mind's of most metro Detroiters. If you worked down there, you went home at 5. If you went to a game, you did the suburban shuffle at left within 20 minutes of the game ending. Commuter students at Wayne went to classes and left. You can't say that today.

It's true I don't have "data" or a study to show you want you want because I don't think it's been done.

But to ignore Book Cadillac, Broderick, Whitney, Cobo Hall, stadium development, M-1 rail, higher rental costs, housing in the central city at a premium, MSU, Michigan, and Central having Detroit centers, new and rehab construction, new stores [[Shinola, Whole Foods, Moosejaw, City Bird, etc)...this is investment that we haven't seen in a long time and not in my generation.

But go ahead and keep on being the Professor, "Nothing to see behind the curtain" and keep thinking everyone wants to live in Birmingham.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; August-19-14 at 11:58 AM.