Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    70 is what modern highways are designed for. We don't drive Delta 88s anymore. And time is money. 55mph in the D? Better be in the right lane. Even the trucks pass me when I slow to 65 [[only where legal of course). Slow speeds are actually a hazard.
    The street on which you live: What's that like? Do you live on a 70mph road? Because if you don't, I imagine that you get into accidents every damn day, don't you?

Sorry, man. For $4 billion, you could fill every pothole in Southeast Michigan. You could build a statewide commuter rail network, subsidize the fares for several decades, and have money left over. You could build 100 miles of double-tracked light rail. You could build SIX Ilitchlands. You could restore TWENTY Michigan Central Stations.

Hell, the new international terminal at Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport only cost $1.2 billion. You could build THREE of those for less than these two outdated, unneeded road projects that won't do a single thing to ease traffic congestion in the long term.

But hey, we get it. Who doesn't like cracking open a cold brewski or two and slamming down the highway unimpeded at 70 mph? We all have our God-given American dreams, right? And what's a little thing like money to get in the way of our dreams? Widen I-94, and we can pretend we're MF James Dean, man. And isn't that truly priceless?
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; October-07-14 at 02:39 PM.