Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Where in Canada. If it is not in downtown Windsor, living near Port Huron and using the Blue Water Bridge might be a possibility.
    To answer your question - Chatham-Kent.

It's quite a commute but staying state side I think works more financially. Not against going full Canadian if it works out better that way. A few of the employees at this company commute from Detroit - at first I thought it seemed a little long but it's really not much longer than my commutes here because of geographical distance.

And I appreciate all the comments back - greatly.
    Far from certainty that the gig is happening - just doing as much research ahead of time as possible and this forum seemed to have the most activity.

GP / Surrounding real estate seems priced right. Only a few pockets of properties I'd stay away from. Prop Taxes seem outrageous, but that could just be what I'm seeing so far.

Mid/Downtown I think is out - I want to keep as much rural in the fam life as humanly possible with a transition like this.

I suppose finding good fly fishing trout streams is a pipe dream? Happy to replace it with bass fly fishing.

Regarding weather - how brutal are the winters among those lakes ? Don't get me wrong - SD weathers are awful - but not looking to trade them for something worse.

Once again appreciate all the comments! Even the snarky trolling ones!

You will find Canadians and folk in the D to be very embracive.

Good luck with your job and house hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mj1612 View Post
    To answer your question - Chatham-Kent.

It's quite a commute but staying state side I think works more financially. Not against going full Canadian if it works out better that way. A few of the employees at this company commute from Detroit - at first I thought it seemed a little long but it's really not much longer than my commutes here because of geographical distance.

And I appreciate all the comments back - greatly.
    Far from certainty that the gig is happening - just doing as much research ahead of time as possible and this forum seemed to have the most activity.

GP / Surrounding real estate seems priced right. Only a few pockets of properties I'd stay away from. Prop Taxes seem outrageous, but that could just be what I'm seeing so far.

Mid/Downtown I think is out - I want to keep as much rural in the fam life as humanly possible with a transition like this.

I suppose finding good fly fishing trout streams is a pipe dream? Happy to replace it with bass fly fishing.

Regarding weather - how brutal are the winters among those lakes ? Don't get me wrong - SD weathers are awful - but not looking to trade them for something worse.

Once again appreciate all the comments! Even the snarky trolling ones!
    Wow, if you've got a job in Chatham-Kent, you should consider moving to downtown Chatham. Don't be deterred by it's small population. It's where many of the elites in Ontario lived a century ago. James Couzens was born there in 1872. He moved to Detroit and was one of the founders of the Ford Motor Company and Henry Ford bought out his shares in 1919 for $30m. He later became president of the Bank of Detroit, Mayor of Detroit, and a US Senator for Michigan.

Downtown Chatham has hundreds of beautiful red brick Victorian mansions from those elites. They have a two story mall. Every major franchise. There is still a lot of old money there keeping it alive. Imagine Gross Pointe only many times better. It's probably one of the nicest historical cities in Ontario IMO and it has everything and the real estate is still one of the cheapest in Ontario. Dollar for dollar and bang for buck, you can't beat it with anything in metro Detroit. I go down there every couple months to just walk around and enjoy the old architecture and visit some of the antique stores.

Second to that, I'd say check out real estate in Lighthouse Cove in Chatham-Kent. Very reasonably priced waterfront property either along Lake St. Claire or one of its many canals and it has a very strong boating community. There are still plenty of empty parcels there where you can build your own mansion.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your stay in Canada.