Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    There's one issue with Amazon picking Detroit and the city and region lacks regional transit. Amazon's RFP wants direct access to rail, train, subway/metro and bus routes at the site. Detroit has just the QLine and People Mover and bus routes. No subway, no mass transit.

https://www.facebook.com/DetroitTransit/posts/1466058093484178

If Detroit were to not be picked, this would be the reason why. I truly hope Amazon looks past that and picks Detroit though.
    What about the Michigan Central Station site? It has the 500,000 sq. ft needed for Phase I. Matty apparently spent $12m refurbishing it in the past year. It has railway tracks behind it to meet the direct access to rail requirement. Close to downtown. Mayor Duggan could even donate Roosevelt park for extra parking or new buildings if needed.

Another plus going for Detroit over another American city or Toronto is that their HQ campus could be split up between two countries. 40,000 employees in Detroit and 10,000 employees in Windsor. The tunnel bus could easily move employees from one country campus to another. I'm surprised our lazy mayor hasn't phoned Duggan up about making a joint city pitch.
    Last edited by davewindsor; September-09-17 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    What about the Michigan Central Station site? It has the 500,000 sq. ft needed for Phase I. Matty apparently spent $12m refurbishing it in the past year. It has railway tracks behind it to meet the direct access to rail requirement. Close to downtown. Mayor Duggan could even donate Roosevelt park for extra parking or new buildings if needed.

Another plus going for Detroit over another American city or Toronto is that their HQ campus could be split up between two countries. 40,000 employees in Detroit and 10,000 employees in Windsor. The tunnel bus could easily move employees from one country campus to another. I'm surprised our lazy mayor hasn't phoned Duggan up to make a joint pitch.
    I'ts rare that I agree with you... but you nailed it this time Dave....

Also, I would love to see them use the Fisher Building... I think that Peter Cummings et al... would welcome a booming addition to New Center with Amazon using their building... I bet that the Detroit Schools would even be happy to sell their way overpriced 5 story condo offices in that building.

And also build on one of the major [[still) empty blocks in Downtown with something really soaring to make a skyline impact.