Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Please explain how jurisdictions like Warren, Hazel Park, Roseville, Oak Park, Southfield are all suffering from decline then. I don't really understand this statement. These areas are built out, have had little new development and the household size continues to shrink. .3 is not growth is is at best maintenance.
    I never said that every single older suburb is showing absolute decline, just not like every single newer sprawlburb is showing crazy growth.

I said that the sprawly outer fringe is generally growing, and the urban/inner suburban ring is generally declining, which is true. Whether a few inner suburbs show small growth doesn't really change the narrative, as places like Southfield are losing out to places like Novi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I never said that every single older suburb is showing absolute decline, just not like every single newer sprawlburb is showing crazy growth.

I said that the sprawly outer fringe is generally growing, and the urban/inner suburban ring is generally declining, which is true.
    But it's not... Every single inner-ring suburb in Oakland and Macomb saw growth. Virtually fully built-out areas are adding people, not declining. Royal Oak Township [[the little township, not the big city) was the only northern inner-ring suburb that saw decline.

I think you'll see high growth in Troy and Rochester Hills soon. I see nothing but new subs going up when I drive around through.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I said that the sprawly outer fringe is generally growing, and the urban/inner suburban ring is generally declining, which is true. Whether a few inner suburbs show small growth doesn't really change the narrative, as places like Southfield are losing out to places like Novi.
    Its all a numbers game. When you start off with 5,000 and you add 100 it is much different than if you start out with 100,000 and lose 100.

The region as a whole is not showing much increase. It is simply moving pieces around on a checkerboard. When Detroit has 10,000 leave, it can be seen as 12,000 leaving the neighborhoods and 2,000 being added to the CBD and Midtown. You can't objectively compare that to 40 extra people in Happyville when Happyville only has 2,000 to start with.