Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I'll take Huel Perkins' intellect over the WDIV clowns any day of the week.
    Sorry, but I can't handle Kerry Birmingham's or Sherry Margolis' faces of constipation while they're reading the teleprompter

Plus, from what we saw once before, Dan Miller and Rich Lutherman apparently don't get along too well [[I also don't like Rich Lutherman's "Thundershower" style weather forecasting).

And don't even get me started on the other blowhards [[M.L. Erick, Charlie Langton, Charlie LeDuff, etc.)
    Last edited by 313WX; January-30-14 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I'm sorry to see Chuck Gaidca leave the air. I've enjoyed his work over the years.
    While I liked Ben Bailey[[and happy to hear he's going to be on air again)I'm a bit disappointed&surprised Andrew Humphrey wasn't promoted to chief meteorologist.
    You mean chief teleprompter reader........don't you?

God called Chuck Gaidica to lead the ministry, build churches and to spread the Gospel. That was a right decision he made. Godspeed Chuck, may the Lord Jesus bless you and keep your company.

Terrific, because what we really need, around here, is more cash-collecting, no-tax-paying churches.
    "Godspeed" Chuck right out of town and out of sight, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You mean chief teleprompter reader........don't you?
    I don't believe that's what I meant.

I say get Bill Bonds back...

Sorry everyone -I had to say it [[and was somewhat surprised that no one else did, even in jest, as did I).

I am stuck in Chicago [[my kids live here, and I won't leave them) and would LOVE to get back to the D. I grew up in Southfield, lived all over the area [[yes, even IN Detroit from 84-90) and I miss it. I have lurked on these boards for years ever since seeing Lowell's photo tour. I like this site and these boards quite a bit. Thanks for being here.

Go Lions!

I end up watching WDIV most of the time, but can't say I think they are better than the other stations. I hate when the weather is -2 and Carmen is sitting there in a low cut outfit, without an undershirt, speaking in whispers or guffawing at Bernie. No class. But at least the Bernsteins aren't financing the 6:00 news. Obviously the market at that time & station is focused on drugs for ED and arthritis and CPD.

All the weather anyone needs, without the hype.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1&lon=-83.1022

"...and Carmen is sitting there in a low cut outfit, without an undershirt, speaking in whispers or guffawing at Bernie."
    What in the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    "...and Carmen is sitting there in a low cut outfit, without an undershirt, speaking in whispers or guffawing at Bernie."
    What in the hell are you talking about?
    Maybe the poster thinks she should wear a wife beater on air.

I guess we all have our favorites. I do think it's kind of crazy to hate other people's favorites. It's not like when you buy a Ford you say, "Those guys at Chevy are real a$$holes!"

I always liked Mort Crim and Bill Bonds, for completely different reasons. I don't think they have equivalents today; that having been said, I am not sure they would be journalists if they were starting out today, though. It's a different world serving a different [[and smaller) audience. Local news is as much entertainment as anything else. My favorite now is Huel Perkins. He has a seriousness most others don't.

Bernie is HORRIBLE. He is the worst sportscaster by far. He just plays some stupid video of the day off the internet and thats it. He is probably the next one to go and Carmen is another one that needs to go. They need some new blood. But I will repeat. Bernie is the worst sportscaster I've ever seen.

Bernie's a sportscaster? Who knew.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I guess we all have our favorites.
    My favorites are Gwen Ifill and Robert Siegel. I gave up on local tv news a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    My favorites are Gwen Ifill and Robert Siegel. I gave up on local tv news a long time ago.
    Many people have stopped watching local news. Back in the day, everyone watched local news because at 6 & 11 they were all that was on [[okay, there were oldie reruns on 20 & 50). But now, you have 200 choices during the news. Besides news itself, people tuned in for sports and weather, which you can now get better on a moment's notice online.

I'll still watch local weather especially for severe weather because they are highly detailed compared to ton weather.com and looking at the radar. Sports, you're completely right. No use to even bother doing sports. They provide nothing and all the breaking stuff is from ESPN. Our local guys are so tied in with the teams that they basically are cheerleaders and afraid to say anything.

Honestly I don't get it. If you guys really have an ax to grind with the TV personalities, why do you watch them? I don't have a TV, but I'm a news junkie, and never felt the need to watch the local news.

As bad as the Detroit "dailies" are, you don't need to look at someone, or at least you have the option of blacking out Albom and Riley's faces with a sharpie, or drawing devil horns on them. Then you have the interwebs, where you have access to everything local news, any time. Frankly this board is better than the local TV news.

I just don't see the need for the local TV news. My pops watches it, and I've caught it when I've been visiting him, and it's really fucking stupid. I mean really fucking stupid. You have ten minutes about some shooting in Detroit, but you don't know where, just "the west side" or "the east side." Then you have 50 minutes of how to not be fat, or cat videos, or whatever frivolity. I think he just watches it because he's old and that's what people used to do in the old days. You guys are just old, right? Just shut it off if you hate the bobbleheads so much.

Or you get sensational murders and they barely mention that it happened in South Carolina or North Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
    Sorry everyone -I had to say it [[and was somewhat surprised that no one else did, even in jest, as did I).

I am stuck in Chicago [[my kids live here, and I won't leave them) and would LOVE to get back to the D. I grew up in Southfield, lived all over the area [[yes, even IN Detroit from 84-90) and I miss it. I have lurked on these boards for years ever since seeing Lowell's photo tour. I like this site and these boards quite a bit. Thanks for being here.

Go Lions!
    Welcome to the forum Benedict. This would be more appropriate as new thread but since you new to routines around here, welcome aboard.

Back to Chuck Gaidica. I admire him for casting aside a sure thing, a highly paid sure thing with celebrity benefits, and following his heart to go into the ministry, a career that offers little in financial benefits and acclaim.

As on on-air personality I have always found him competent and distinguished, never trying to take over the stage unlike the attention-needy class clown at the other end of the table, who got me the information I wanted to know. Good luck Chuck!

I think he got this part of the Bible: 1 Peter 1:24
    All humankind is like grass, and all its glory like the flower of the grass. Then the grass withers and the flower and its glory dies with it. But truth endures forever.

When Chuck was younger I thought he looked like Dondi of Sunday comic fan.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cVTT2jmM4O...s400/dondi.jpg

I'm not seeing it. I believe Dondi is supposed to be an adopted refugee kid from WW2 Italy. Chuck don't look Italian to me tho his name may/may not be Italian.

My wife used to watch them in the mornings when we still lived in the viewing area. It was background noise for both of us.

Carmen Harlan is the only one I could stand. The rest were pretty insufferable, as far as I was concerned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast