Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I’ve never set foot in a Whole Foods, and never will
    If you shop at Whole Foods and care whatsoever what I think, don’t fret. I’ve heard from lots of people that it’s a really nice store with fancy cheeses, amazing bakery items, and a wide selection of ready-to-eat vegetarian options. That’s fine my friends, go nuts [[do they have really good nuts, too?) In my opinion, Whole Foods helps promote the pretentious, judgmental false dichotomy that non-GMO and organic foods are somehow healthy and wholesome, while regular old food is junk.
    This company that grossed more than 14 billion dollars in fiscal year 2014 — almost the same revenue as Monsanto, although Whole Foods is growing faster — devotes an entire section of its website to how “Values Matter.” This is an extensive section that self-righteously implies that Whole Foods upholds and sets the standards for food consumption morality, and that all other grocers are merely followers. Whole Foods shoppers get to bask in the trickle-down effect of these so-called “values.” I would never have believed that Whole Foods actually had a “Values Matter Anthem.” Alas, this pompous anthem truly does exist.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.or...of-the-decade/

That's funny, I hear you! While I shop at WF on occasion -- I most CERTAINLY don't need their "values". I have my own!! If I go the their web site I'm primarily seeking specials/ coupons or details on items. I simply want more venues of shopping and for their lacking sometimes WF'd offers me good options [[I like their Alaffia skin care and bath products, and some of their deli and buffet items and a few veggies when they're on sale!).

I don't require a righteous feeling relative to shopping, food snobbery, and food fascism. Or any further dictates relative to commerce as I shop. I seek the best foods I can per my budget. I'll not be made to feel less sophisticated or 'progressive' for not shopping solely at WF, especially where they come up short on their purity of 'whole' - ness claims!

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    [Whole Foods] devotes an entire section of its website to how “Values Matter.” This is an extensive section that self-righteously implies that Whole Foods upholds and sets the standards for food consumption morality, and that all other grocers are merely followers. Whole Foods shoppers get to bask in the trickle-down effect of these so-called “values.” I would never have believed that Whole Foods actually had a “Values Matter Anthem.” Alas, this pompous anthem truly does exist.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-15 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    the pretentious, judgmental false dichotomy that non-GMO and organic foods are somehow healthy and wholesome, while regular old food is junk.
    Feelings on Whole Foods aside, frankly GMO foods are junk. For example, to make corn resistant to bugs, GMO corn is modified so that a pesticide is part of the corn. How could anyone think this is healthy to eat, especially for the long-term? I never eat any corn product unless it is non-GMO.

Default Popcorn time!

Holy cow, time to grab the popcorn and watch the fun.

In this corner - anti-capitalist progressive absolutists who base their shopping habits on lousy news pieces from the left's equivalent of WorldNetDaily and Rush Limbaugh.

In this corner - hippies and hipster greenies crusading against Monstanto and big agriculture who selectively believe science when it comes to global warming but not GMOs.

FIGHT!

P.S. - we bought all our baby food at Whole Foods, they carried the same brands at cheaper prices than Meijer.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    crusading against Monstanto and big agriculture who selectively believe science

haha, is that so? I guess the 26 countries that ban GMOs are selectively believing the science too... if you grab the popcorn I hope it's GMO-free :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I guess the 26 countries that ban GMOs are selectively believing the science too...
    You really don't want to drag politics into a scientific discussion. A dozen or so countries still have bans on witchcraft. Politicians and science don't mix.

Here you go:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/1/29/7947695/gmos-safety-poll
    Last edited by JBMcB; August-20-15 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added sources

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    You really don't want to drag politics into a scientific discussion

OK...? Just because I mention other countries does not mean I am referring to anything political.

Thanks for the pap article, it was decidely not helpful. Please note that since GMOs have only been around in the US since 1982, it is not possible that any studies have been done on what the effects are of eating GMO products over the long-term, say 50 to 60 years or more.

And here you go... please enjoy these lovely pictures of tumors caused by GMOs, brought to you by science:

Shock findings in new GMO study: Rats fed lifetime of GM corn grow horrifying tumors, 70% of females die early

http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GM...an_damage.html

Monsanto Roundup weedkiller and GMO corn implicated in shocking new cancer study

" 'This research shows an extraordinary number of tumors developing earlier and more aggressively -- particularly in female animals. I am shocked by the extreme negative health impacts.' said Dr. Michael Antoniou, molecular biologist at Kings College London, and a member of CRIIGEN, the independent scientific council that supported the research.

The peer reviewed study, conducted by a team of researchers at the University of Caen, found that rats fed a diet containing Roundup-resistant GMO corn, or given water containing Roundup at levels permitted in drinking water, over a two-year period, died significantly earlier than rats fed a standard diet."

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/home/topi...e?redirCanon=1

GMO crops being considered safe is based on 90-day animal feeding trials, nothing more. Where was the safety study confirming the long-term results?

Anyone saying there is no science here is either being lazy or fraudulent.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    OK...? Just because I mention other countries does not mean I am referring to anything political.
    You are saying that when a country's government bans something, that is not a political action? OK.

Thanks for the pap article, it was decidely not helpful.
    A study finding the vast majority of scientists saying GMOs are safe is not helpful? Isn't that the same line of reasoning global warming deniers use?

And here you go... please enjoy these lovely pictures of tumors caused by GMOs
    From a paper that was withdrawn by the publisher because the line of rats they used were prone to tumors to begin with?
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...orn-to-cancer/

This study is kind of famous for it's awfulness. They used the wrong kind of rat, they didn't control for many other external factors, they got some basic statistics wrong. A group of EU scientists were going to try to reproduce his findings and he backed out when he found out they were going to use several different types of rats and tightly control their diet and other environmental factors - IE do a proper study. I wonder why.

GMO crops being considered safe is based on 90-day animal feeding trials, nothing more. Where was the safety study confirming the long-term results?
    Here's a multi-study review doing just that, including multi-year and multi-generational studies, from three years ago. Must have slipped under your radar:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...78691511006399