Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13
    EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Is Detroit suddenly in a hurricane-prone region? There's no reason plywood has to be affixed to building framing, so long as the connections are capable of resisting components-and-cladding wind loads as calculated per ASCE 7.

Screws have the same strength regardless of how they are installed. I think you're referring to the tensile load capacity of the connection.
    How old is the post you're responding to? Why are you so obsessed with this issue when you don't even live in Michigan, let along the city?

Let it go, man.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    How old is the post you're responding to? Why are you so obsessed with this issue when you don't even live in Michigan, let along the city?

Let it go, man.
    What do you care?

PQZ Guest

Is Detroit suddenly in a hurricane-prone region? There's no reason plywood has to be affixed to building framing, so long as the connections are capable of resisting components-and-cladding wind loads as calculated per ASCE 7.

Screws have the same strength regardless of how they are installed. I think you're referring to the tensile load capacity of the connection.
    I don't see where I suggested the plywood had to be anchored into building framing. I think it is clear by the context I meant the window framing as a general concept.

Allow me to clarify and describe a common, effective and relatively cost effective way to secure windows and reflects how most windows are secured in vacant buildings downtown.

If you want to minimize further water infiltration from the window openings, the plywood should be exterior to the window and covering as much of the opening as possible, affixed to the window frame if feasible. In this case wood blocking is attaced to the window frame to bring anchor points nearly flich with the exterior. The plywood is then attached to the blocking and pulled as tight as feasible to the building exterior. This prevents glass from falling outward and directs most water away from the frame, where it can penetrate the building evnevlope and create spalling and other exterior degradation issues. It doesn't solve it completely, but it stops the vast amhority of water penetration that occurs at the windo openings.

If the frame is too far degraded to hold the plywood, as was the case for most of the windows at the Metropolitan, a system is created in which 2x4 or 2x6 crossmembers are nailed or screwed in place across the openings. These crossmembers are interior to the building and anchoed to the interior walls. Wood blocking is attached to the crossmembers to bring it close to being flush with the exterior. Bolts are passed through the plywood, the blocking and the bracing beams and tightened down. . This draws the plywood flat over the opening and secures it against the winds that can occur during blizzard and near tornado conditions.

EastSider Guest

What do you care?
    Because I'm a social worker; I'm always concerned about the mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Because I'm a social worker; I'm always concerned about the mentally ill.
    Since when did DetroitYes mean DetroitOnlyIfYouLiveHere,IfNotShutTheFuckUp?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13