Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24 64 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1873

I tried to get the "newly authorized bivalent" Covid vaccine today at a local CVS but they hadn't yet received their allotment. So instead I got a flu vaccine in one arm and a Pneumovax 20 in the other.

I regret that I have but two arms to give to my country.

Available vaccination locations can be found at https://www.vaccines.gov/.

We managed to not get it for 3 years so I don't feel too badly about getting the milder form. I've always known that the vaccines wouldn't keep us from getting Covid, but would make it less likely to die from. But it was miserable. For me. My husband had a runny nose and that was it. I had the dry cough, runny nose, raw throat and body aches. But I lived. And now I'll get the next booster when I can; I see it as no different than getting a flu shot every year so I can get a lesser form of the flu
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I am currently on day 6 and the wife on day 4.
    What a drag it is.
    We had the wu flu shots and did everything we should. I don’t know what or who to believe anymore.

Wishing a speedy recovery to you and your wife!

The annual closing up of the Keweenaw cottage is happening a few weeks early this year due to a family gathering in New York State in October. My parents will only attend virtually. This year's cider pressing at the mining ghost town of Central off US-41 on the way to Copper Harbor will be on September 24th according to the following:

https://www.visitkeweenaw.com/blog/p...-the-keweenaw/

My Dad helped to rehab one of the antique cider presses a few years ago.
    I think there may be two presses that sat in someone's garage or barn for decades. The event is held with assistance from the Keweenaw County Historical Society membership.

The heirloom apple trees in Central have tiny apples that barely make it to ripe. I've never been to a pressing event or had the cider. It sounds pretty "bring your own" as in bring your own containers and maybe also apples. Central also has invasive heirloom parsnips that various organizations are trying to eliminate. Touching the plants can give someone a nasty rash, but these could well be descendants of parsnips planted for sustenance by the settlers there. I suggested a parsnip dinner for one day while I was visiting but there was not enough interest.

Regardless, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

I am seeing where there is an admission of $6 for the cider pressing and that the Mohawk Superette is its corporate sponsor. The Mohawk Superette only makes pasties like once or twice a week. Dad likes their pasties, so they're good, but at the same time it's a good idea to have a backup meal plan for this event if you do go, like a sack lunch from Pat's Foods or something.
    Last edited by Dumpling; September-08-22 at 09:56 PM.

Damn, wish we were going to be there that long.It would be cool to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    ...My Dad helped to rehab one of the antique cider presses a few years ago.
    I think there may be two presses that sat in someone's garage or barn for decades. The event is held with assistance from the Keweenaw County Historical Society membership.

The heirloom apple trees in Central have tiny apples that barely make it to ripe. I've never been to a pressing event or had the cider. It sounds pretty "bring your own" as in bring your own containers and maybe also apples. Central also has invasive heirloom parsnips that various organizations are trying to eliminate. Touching the plants can give someone a nasty rash, but these could well be descendants of parsnips planted for sustenance by the settlers there. I suggested a parsnip dinner for one day while I was visiting but there was not enough interest.

Regardless, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

I am seeing where there is an admission of $6 for the cider pressing and that the Mohawk Superette is its corporate sponsor. The Mohawk Superette only makes pasties like once or twice a week. Dad likes their pasties, so they're good, but at the same time it's a good idea to have a backup meal plan for this event if you do go, like a sack lunch from Pat's Foods or something.

Whatever you do I'm sure you will have a nice trip!

Children under 12-years-old in the United Kingdom will no longer be offered COVID injections, except for those in clinical risk groups, the UK Health Security Agency confirmed this week. The UK joins Norway and Denmark in considering the risks of being vaccinated outweigh the risks for most children.

Can't wait; 2 days now

It was wonderful up there; lots of gorgeous scenery, good food and fresh air. Not a lot of evidence of any big Covid outbreaks but some people were wearing masks in restaurants and such. Name:  Little Girl Point.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  115.6 KB
    Last edited by jcole; September-19-22 at 12:31 PM.

Is that on Belle Isle?

Not unless I took a really wrong turn somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is that on Belle Isle?

Name:  DSCN9126[[1).jpg
Views: 260
Size:  111.0 KB

This is a pic from the apple cider making event held Saturday September 24th 2022 at the ghost town of Central Mine in Keweenaw County. Okay, so everyone shown participating is over wearing a mask and social distancing by now.

In a week or so we'll learn if this was a superspreader event. This is an area where everyone knows everybody to some extent. There's built in contact tracing for the area residents, not so much if you are a tourist just dropping by for the day.

I got my City of Detroit bivalent Pfizer/Biontech booster shot last Thursday. I had made an appointment several days in advance. When I arrived to the Northwest Activities Center, the vaccination clinic had been moved from the ballroom down to the basement, but not only that, there were signs there stating that one must have a negative COVID-19 test before entering. There was nothing in advance of arriving at the site to indicate this. Despite this signage, I was allowed to enter and be vaccinated without having documentation of a negative COVID-19 test. My original vax card was completely full so a new card was started and attached to the old one. I'd had interesting side effects from previous vaccinations but this time just a sore arm!

So if you're going for a City of Detroit booster dose it is recommended to bring a home COVID-19 test along with your ID and vax card. I'd keep the test in the box and not use it unless it's about to expire anyways. This clinic was far more low key than the first two vaccination events held in the parking garage downtown. This one was more like an urgent care clinic. The first events were more like mustering into military basic training.
    Last edited by Dumpling; September-24-22 at 05:24 PM.

In a week or so we'll learn if this was a superspreader event.
    Unlikely.

The president announced a week or so ago that Covid was over.

Are you in agreement with President Biden on this subject?

What is true is that CDC data collection and reporting as seen at the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus home has been suspended as of 9/21/2022.

This is the link to its page for Michigan:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/michigan

At the last reporting, as of September 2022, in Michigan alone, there were roughly 2,500 reported cases per day. [The true number of cases is thought to be higher.] Of these cases, on average, roughly one death per 146 cases was reported. Further explanations of why this is the death rate at this time would be found elsewhere. This rate is still higher than for even a bad flu season. The variant COVID-19 is probably still ten times worse than the flu! [Dr. Fauci's phrase back in the beginning to quantify the effects of Covid-19 in a relatable way for the masses.]

The JHU Coronavirus Home has a daily one minute video "Data In Motion" summarizing current COVID-19 overview stats.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/covid-19-daily-video

This clip going to be less accurate going forward and parts of it might be discontinued since CDC data is no longer being collected.

COVID-19 or any variant of concern would become a "problem" for any president again if it affects people's behavior enough to significantly affect the stock markets. For the moment there are other concerns for the stock markets.

It's not that COVID-19 has gone away. It's that, in the aggregate, the American people have all come to their accommodations with the disease. Our behaviors have become settled and have become a new normal. COVID-19 is now "priced in" with the stock markets.

Name:  DSCN9126[[1).jpg
Views: 260
Size:  111.0 KB

This is a pic from the apple cider making event held Saturday September 24th 2022 at the ghost town of Central Mine in Keweenaw County. Okay, so everyone shown participating is over wearing a mask and social distancing by now.

In a week or so we'll learn if this was a superspreader event. This is an area where everyone knows everybody to some extent. There's built in contact tracing for the area residents, not so much if you are a tourist just dropping by for the day.

I got my City of Detroit bivalent Pfizer/Biontech booster shot last Thursday. I had made an appointment several days in advance. When I arrived to the Northwest Activities Center, the vaccination clinic had been moved from the ballroom down to the basement, but not only that, there were signs there stating that one must have a negative COVID-19 test before entering. There was nothing in advance of arriving at the site to indicate this. Despite this signage, I was allowed to enter and be vaccinated without having documentation of a negative COVID-19 test. My original vax card was completely full so a new card was started and attached to the old one. I'd had interesting side effects from previous vaccinations but this time just a sore arm!

So if you're going for a City of Detroit booster dose it is recommended to bring a home COVID-19 test along with your ID and vax card. I'd keep the test in the box and not use it unless it's about to expire anyways. This clinic was far more low key than the first two vaccination events held in the parking garage downtown. This one was more like an urgent care clinic. The first events were more like mustering into military basic training.

He NEVER said "Covid is over"; he said "The pandemic is over" and that Covid will probably be around forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Unlikely.

The president announced a week or so ago that Covid was over.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    He NEVER said "Covid is over"; he said "The pandemic is over" and that Covid will probably be around forever.
    Kinda like the good old days when the guy NEVER said that people should inject bleach,but people still took their version of fun with it.

^ Yes, and a high-level of damage-control and blocking was deployed for both 'careless' statements made by Biden and Trump.

They've both kept their press secretaries and the media gate-keepers quite busy in high capacity spin-mode.

Especially president Biden! Increasingly so as time goes forth.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-22 at 02:40 PM.

Is not much of this outdoors?

I masked early during the pandemic but never outdoors, alone in my car, cycling etc. even at the height of COVID when it was highly pathogenic.

In a week or so we'll learn if this was a super-spreader event...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is not much of this outdoors?

I masked early during the pandemic but never outdoors, alone in my car, cycling etc. even at the height of COVID when it was highly pathogenic.
    This latest version is very highly pathogenic.
    Just not as debilitating.
    Still kicks your butt and a lot of folk get it and don’t bother to test themselves.

The cider pressing was held outdoors. Over the summer various households in that region were coming down with COVID-19. Probably a majority in the area have either been sickened or been vaccinated or both by now.

Still it is just possible that students and teachers coming back to Michigan Tech for the fall semester are circulating some new variant that everyone would catch regardless of prior infection status and it is possible that just one person with this new variant went to the cider pressing before they really became sick from it.

New Omicron Booster Injections available...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/15/omic...e-effects.html

White House Presses Booster Shots -- Americans Slow to Get Them

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/15/u...ter-shots.html

Debate over risks remains...

https://www.science.org/content/arti...le?cookieSet=1
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-17-22 at 07:52 PM.

Apparently the new variant has lightning bolts coming out of it...

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...H.8ixQgmpBCCI-

^ Yeah that graphic ain't hitting it considering the negative side affects [no longer reflexively denied and blocked] some experience[d] from their injections.

Does it make COVID go death-star mode!?

Yup... looks like annual boostering is going to be the wave of the future. For those who refuse to get the shot... that's their choice. I'll be getting mine.

My sister and her husband got one of the Omicon variants a month ago from attending a hockey game [so they believe]. They were fully boostered [not the present one]. They were both considered high risk [diabetes, hypertension], but the boosters likely protected them. It took 3 weeks [no hospitalization required] for them to recover. Said it felt like a very bad flu, and my sister had what seems like the taste of metal in her mouth for a week!

I'm less worried about Covid vaccine side effects than Covid effects.

2 of my Facebook friends who died last year of the disease [never vaccinated]... their families each had Go-Fund-Me drives after their passing. Unless omitting the booster is due to an impactful health problem, I don't contribute.

I had Covid the first two weeks of August and they hare telling me to wait 90 days before getting the new booster. I'm getting antsy about the new variants so I'm counting the days now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yup... looks like annual boostering is going to be the wave of the future. For those who refuse to get the shot... that's their choice. I'll be getting mine.

My sister and her husband got one of the Omicon variants a month ago from attending a hockey game [so they believe]. They were fully boostered [not the present one]. They were both considered high risk [diabetes, hypertension], but the boosters likely protected them. It took 3 weeks [no hospitalization required] for them to recover. Said it felt like a very bad flu, and my sister had what seems like the taste of metal in her mouth for a week!

I'm less worried about Covid vaccine side effects than Covid effects.

2 of my Facebook friends who died last year of the disease [never vaccinated]... their families each had Go-Fund-Me drives after their passing. Unless omitting the booster is due to an impactful health problem, I don't contribute.

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24 64 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast