Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    ummmm....that will just get us google
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7jkxf-TKYw

try that one...

WTF is a papantonio? Some kind of new pizza joint?

George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer, who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, 17, an unarmed teenager in Sanford, Florida in February will be charged according to CBS News.A press conference is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET, with State Attorney Angela Corey.
    Read more:http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...#ixzz1rlRmFghm

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

There's that pizza joint ad again.

Second Degree Murder

Acquittal.

I posted news. Meddle is posting wishes

George Zimmerman has turned himself in and is in custody.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-11-12 at 06:37 PM.

Not a wish.

A prediction.

given the cracker mentality of people in the area, I wouldn't be surprised at acquittal

Ahhhhh, that Ignore feature is like Christmas everyday on DYes.

Trayvon's family can finally sleep tonight and I'm so thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't believe either side. I look at the whole thing impartially, not with my vision clouded by rage.
    My take is not based on rage, but on reason. The 911 tape is damning for GZ.

He was told not to follow TM. At that point he was very vague on his whereabouts and where the officers could find him. He won’t commit to an address, the mail boxes [[he described), or even his truck. He tells the dispatcher to have the cops call him, and he’ll tell them where he’s at, when they get there.
    He’s not giving an exact location, because he is still pursuing, after being told NOT TO.

Among the derogatory comments GZ was making about TM, the 911 tape also reveals that GZ has decided that TM is an “asshole” that’s trying to “get away”.

GZ describes how TM is “coming right towards him”, then all of sudden, it’s the other way around. He’s following the “suspect”.

The 911 tapes confirm it.

I can’t understand why someone would brazenly pursue what they perceived to be a threat.

The 911 tape does not show GZ backing down, even for a second.

GZ’s reckless behavior caused the death of an innocent young man, whether he likes it or not.

I would also point out that GZ was acting outside the rules for Neighborhood Watch, he had no official backing, no marking or badge to ID him. In 2005, after he was arrested for assault on a police officer, his excuse was that the undercover officer did not identify himself. He did the same thing he accuses Trayvon of doing. Fortunately for him, the officer had more sense than to shoot him.

Is something getting lost in this whole media circus? The cheering and happiness being exhibited today should be coming from Trayvon's parents.

The apparent sensless death of this young man is indeed a sad event. But isn't the larger concern to all of us outsiders looking in, the response, or lack thereof, by the local law enforcement? The police knew who the shooter was. They came upon him with the smoking gun still in hand. Yet they gave him a 30 minute interview and accepted his version of the incident as gospel. Had he been held until some type of legitmate investigation had been completed, most likely those outside of the local community would have never heard the name Trayvon.

Is anyone holding LE's feet to the fire as to why they seemed content to sweep this young man's murder under the rug?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    The police knew who the shooter was. They came upon him with the smoking gun still in hand. Yet they gave him a 30 minute interview and accepted his version of the incident as gospel. Had he been held until some type of legitmate investigation had been completed, most likely those outside of the local community would have never heard the name Trayvon.

Is anyone holding LE's feet to the fire as to why they seemed content to sweep this young man's murder under the rug?
    Apparently you haven't been reading. Or only reading the rage inducing rhetoric. The investigator [[police) wanted to charge him initially and filed the case with the prosecutor, who declined the case.

Now, about holding LE's feet to the fire, there is the Pasadena case that nobody seems to be bothering with.

I read that Sanford LE is being investigated over their handling of the case, and there is likely going to be a civil rights lawsuit to come, in addition to the Justice Department reportedly looking into it. The case is not over with GZ's arrest, its really just beginning. I think people are just breathing a sigh of relief that they're finally being taken seriously and getting the arrest and charge is the first step. It's far from being over, a lot of heads are going to roll over this.

And I didn't really see any celebration yesterday, people were happy for his arrest but even during the press conference, the speakers emphasized that this wasn't a time to celebrate but to get ready for the bigger fight, and none of this is going to bring back Trayvon.
    Last edited by Detwa; April-12-12 at 09:11 AM.

If that Zimmerman guy ends up doing time, he probably will have plenty more reasons for self defense arguments...

Second Chance On Shoot First is opposing laws like the one in this case. There's a list of states with "Shoot First" laws and Michigan's on it!

When the NRA began pushing these shoot first laws across the country the concept appealed to peoples sense of vigilantism. The NRA gave money to the politicans, and wrote the laws for many of the states involved with this law. In fact you had dems vote for the law in Fl. What people didn't realize then and are only realizing it now is that the law of unintended consequences is kicking in, especially in cases where there are very few if any witnesses.

Because of the way the law is written the burden on the prosecution is much more difficult to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt when that law is used as a defense, especially if its one of those "he said, she said" cases.
    Last edited by firstandten; April-13-12 at 07:47 AM.

Here's an example of the unintended consequences of the stand your ground law as it relates to florida and other states.

In florida there was an argument during a playground basketball game between two youths. The argument got loud with threats going back and forth between the two. Basically they were in each others face.

One youth decided to do a preemptive strike against the other youth, hit him and unfortunately killed him with one punch.

The youth was not charged in the death based on the stand your ground law.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    When the NRA began pushing these shoot first laws across the country the concept appealed to peoples sense of vigilantism. The NRA gave money to the politicans, and wrote the laws for many of the states involved with this law. In fact you had dems vote for the law in Fl. What people didn't realize then and are only realizing it now is that the law of unintended consequences is kicking in, especially in cases where there are very few if any witnesses.

Because of the way the law is written the burden on the prosecution is much more difficult to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt when that law is used as a defense, especially if its one of those "he said, she said" cases.
    If Zimmerman's account of the events is truthful the "Stand your ground law" is really not even an issue in this case. According to Mr. Zimmerman he was attacked by Trayvon and knocked to the ground while he was walking back to his vehicle. If this is true then retreat was not an option and the shooting would be considered self defense even if a legal requirement to retreat first still existed.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast