Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    the city? lol... don't!
    Then change your name, sweetie, 'mkay? Thanks.

Zeyrek,

Just something I noticed since it seemed your main concern has changed since earlier in the thread. If your kids are pretty young, apart from having to adapt to a new situation, it shouldn't be your kids you should worry about. They are going to go through the normal adaptation of being from a different country regardless of whether they are schooled in Detroit or Birmingham. It's not the school situation I'd be worried about, rather, overall expectations of safety in your everyday life. Detroit proper has a relatively small immigrant population at the moment, but you've got Poles, and Iraqis and Mexicans, etc...that all fit in pretty quickly.

Your social adaptation and that of your kids shouldn't be much of an issue. Truth be told, Detroiters in social situations are extremely friendly, and I don't just say that as a homer. I've personally found Detroiters some of the most friendly and helpful folks around in social situations. If you let them, they will talk your ear off. They are genuinely tickled pink when someone has an interest in their city, especially someone as "exotic" as you will be. Again, the problems aren't going to come from your bank teller, or your kids classmates, or anything like that. Your potential problems -- if they come -- will come, unfortunately, from the the random criminals acts that are all too common in the city like your car getting stolen [[if you end up owning one), or being at the wrong place at the wrong time and getting mugged, or having your home burglarized, which is why I'd suggest that if you're going to buy or rent in the city you do it in a multi-unit/multi-family apartment or condo buildings where you have more eyes to watch your place [[and most of them have some level of security).

Again, don't worry about your kids fitting in; they'll be fine at school. That will be the least of your concerns, maybe both fortunately and unfortunately. Keep doing the research, and hopefully, we'll still see you in Detroit, just be mindful of the move you're making.
    Last edited by Dexlin; November-20-11 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Then change your name, sweetie, 'mkay? Thanks.

Zeyrek,

Just something I noticed since it seemed your main concern has changed since earlier in the thread. If your kids are pretty young, apart from having to adapt to a new situation, it shouldn't be your kids you should worry about. They are going to go through the normal adaptation of being from a different country regardless of whether they are schooled in Detroit or Birmingham. It's not the school situation I'd be worried about, rather, overall expectations of safety in your everyday life. Detroit proper has a relatively small immigrant population at the moment, but you've got Poles, and Iraqis and Mexicans, etc...that all fit in pretty quickly.

Your social adaptation and that of your kids shouldn't be much of an issue. Truth be told, Detroiters in social situations are extremely friendly, and I don't just say that as a homer. I've personally found Detroiters some of the most friendly and helpful folks around in social situations. If you let them, they will talk your ear off. They are genuinely tickled pink when someone has an interest in their city, especially someone as "exotic" as you will be. Again, the problems aren't going to come from your bank teller, or your kids classmates, or anything like that. Your potential problems -- if they come -- will come, unfortunately, from the the random criminals acts that are all too common in the city like your car getting stolen [[if you end up owning one), or being at the wrong place at the wrong time and getting mugged, or having your home burglarized, which is why I'd suggest that if you're going to buy or rent in the city you do it in a multi-unit/multi-family apartment or condo buildings where you have more eyes to watch your place [[and most of them have some level of security).

Again, don't worry about your kids fitting in; they'll be fine at school. That will be the least of your concerns, maybe both fortunately and unfortunately. Keep doing the research, and hopefully, we'll still see you in Detroit, just be mindful of the move you're making.

I disagree 100%. This should be what he is MOST concerned about. There WILL be problems unless they go to a private school. There are serious issues in Detroit and if his kids don't fit in, they will be messed with.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I disagree 100%. This should be what he is MOST concerned about. There WILL be problems unless they go to a private school. There are serious issues in Detroit and if his kids don't fit in, they will be messed with.
    Yep, just enroll 'em in a public school in the burbs and let all your worries melt away. It's like you won't even have to parent the little guys. All will be sunny and cheery. Nary a problem.

For the record, I'm not suggesting a move to Detroit proper nor am I promoting the suburbs [[though each will have it's own set of advantages and challenges), but I must say this thread is a hoot. Ethnocentrism at its embarrassing height.
    Cheers and best of luck on your move.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    Yep, just enroll 'em in a public school in the burbs and let all your worries melt away. It's like you won't even have to parent the little guys. All will be sunny and cheery. Nary a problem.

For the record, I'm not suggesting a move to Detroit proper nor am I promoting the suburbs [[though each will have it's own set of advantages and challenges), but I must say this thread is a hoot. Ethnocentrism at its embarrassing height.
    Cheers and best of luck on your move.
    You are totally wrong. I never said that enrolling them in a suburban school will eliminate their problems. I have personally known people that have moved from overseas and enrolled in suburban schools and had an incredibly difficult time, but the schools in Detroit present problems all of their own, which are an addition to the problems that any new person might experience. Detroit Public Schools present problems for Detroiters. Your comment is ignorant and misinformed, and my attempt at trying to tell this person the truth for the sake of their children should not be seen as "ethnocentric."

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    You are totally wrong. I never said that enrolling them in a suburban school will eliminate their problems. I have personally known people that have moved from overseas and enrolled in suburban schools and had an incredibly difficult time, but the schools in Detroit present problems all of their own, which are an addition to the problems that any new person might experience. Detroit Public Schools present problems for Detroiters. Your comment is ignorant and misinformed, and my attempt at trying to tell this person the truth for the sake of their children should not be seen as "ethnocentric."
    Yep, and your experience and that of people you have "personally known" will be the experience of all.
    So let it be done.