Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

First take a look around in the club watch for the guys with the jogging pants……… They don’t come in like that for no reason.
    I'm not sure where you've been but the ones I was in had strict dress codes which was basically business attire. Siloz and another one on 8 Mile I used to go to [[can't remember the name right now) were very nice places. Many a business deal was penned in them during lunch and dinner hours. Tables were filled with business execs, lawyers, bankers, celebrities, etc. Even a few Detroit politicians including Council members. It wasn't uncommon for the lunch or dinner tab to be $300 or more. I had a couple of pretty good friends that worked at those two clubs.

One of the best was on Michigan in east Dearborn. Valet parking, doormen, upscale foods. That place was always packed; standing room only and almost every customer there was in a business suit, day or night. The girls there could make $1,000 a night just dancing. They didn't have to do anything else extra-curricular.

I've also known some of the girls. Some were skanks, but most were working mothers or housewives. They could make more dancing 2 or 3 days a week than they could working a 40 hour job. Some were models you may have seen at the Auto Show, others were doing television commercials. Most were quite intelligent.

There was also the Landing Strip in Romulus that was decent.

Yes, there were the other type of clubs in the 7 Mile/VanDyke area. I think one of the worst was Henry III on Michigan Ave out around Inkster somewhere. One of the girls there actually had a bullet scar in her stomach and was proud of it.

Cross reference with the "Fabulous Strip Club Ruins of Detroit" [[Discuss Detroit section) thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    What are we talking about here? Could someone put up pictures?
    You certainly have a sense of humor RickBeall.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-05-09 at 10:53 AM. Reason: edit

Detroit's proposed strip club restrictions draw big crowd

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...430/1409/METRO

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit --At least 200 people jammed City Council chambers today to weigh in on a proposal to ban alcohol and require dancers wear opaque pasties at the city's 33 strip clubs, but it's unclear whether the panel will take action today.
    Only four council members were in attendance by about 11:20 a.m. -- President Ken Cockrel Jr., Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and JoAnn Watson -- and that's not enough to comprise a quorum for a legal meeting. Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel attended the session briefly but left. Ken Cockrel said he would accept comments from the public, and then consider whether to send a police officer to get Sheila Cockrel so the panel could legally meet.
    The absences create a quandary for the council, which planned on introducing the resolution today and voting on it Nov. 20, the final session before a holiday recess that lasts until January, when new members come on board. Rules require five days to pass before the council could vote, however, so today's delay may mean the issue will last into next year -- or require the council to call a special session during the recess.

For much of the year, religious leaders have urged the council to get tough on the clubs. But the city already is facing several lawsuits related to its regulation of them.
    Dancer Caprice Marbury told members the changes would likely mean she would lose her job.
    "This is how I go to school and feed my kids," Marbury said today. "I don't want to be on welfare. There's nobody hiring."
    Her 1-year-old daughter sat on Marbury's lap as she spoke. Many other women brought babies to the hearing.
    Samantha Gapp, a dancer at the Toy Chest, said she was a legal secretary, but when she moved to Metro Detroit, she couldn't find work.
    "It's nearly impossible to find a decent job," Gapp said. "If you don't like it, steer yourself away from it."
    But others, including pastors and church members, said it's time for a change.
    "I am disgusted with passing from east to west and only seeing [[the strip clubs) on the Detroit side," said Belinda Scott, who attends Perfecting Church. "Is this all we can offer our young girls? No, I think we can do better."
    Tammi Mathis of Detroit agreed, saying, "It's sad that the only option we are giving our daughters is to dance at clubs.".

Kudos to Shelia Cockrel for blocking this nonsense.

Although, I have to take issue with the Detroit News for their headline in the story linked above. How does enacting more regulations that won't be enforced - on top of the umpteen other regulations that aren't enforced - constitute "reform"?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Detroit's proposed strip club restrictions draw big crowd

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...430/1409/METRO

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit --At least 200 people jammed City Council chambers today to weigh in on a proposal to ban alcohol and require dancers wear opaque pasties at the city's 33 strip clubs, but it's unclear whether the panel will take action today.
    Only four council members were in attendance by about 11:20 a.m. -- President Ken Cockrel Jr., Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and JoAnn Watson -- and that's not enough to comprise a quorum for a legal meeting. Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel attended the session briefly but left. Ken Cockrel said he would accept comments from the public, and then consider whether to send a police officer to get Sheila Cockrel so the panel could legally meet.
    The absences create a quandary for the council, which planned on introducing the resolution today and voting on it Nov. 20, the final session before a holiday recess that lasts until January, when new members come on board. Rules require five days to pass before the council could vote, however, so today's delay may mean the issue will last into next year -- or require the council to call a special session during the recess.

For much of the year, religious leaders have urged the council to get tough on the clubs. But the city already is facing several lawsuits related to its regulation of them.
    Dancer Caprice Marbury told members the changes would likely mean she would lose her job.
    "This is how I go to school and feed my kids," Marbury said today. "I don't want to be on welfare. There's nobody hiring."
    Her 1-year-old daughter sat on Marbury's lap as she spoke. Many other women brought babies to the hearing.
    Samantha Gapp, a dancer at the Toy Chest, said she was a legal secretary, but when she moved to Metro Detroit, she couldn't find work.
    "It's nearly impossible to find a decent job," Gapp said. "If you don't like it, steer yourself away from it."
    But others, including pastors and church members, said it's time for a change.
    "I am disgusted with passing from east to west and only seeing [[the strip clubs) on the Detroit side," said Belinda Scott, who attends Perfecting Church. "Is this all we can offer our young girls? No, I think we can do better."
    Tammi Mathis of Detroit agreed, saying, "It's sad that the only option we are giving our daughters is to dance at clubs.".
    I don't think this is the time to drive any legal business out of the city.There are bigger fish to fry.