Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Thanks for the insightful post, SteveJ. By the way, I live in Detroit. And I'm teasing Hermod, not blaming him. And, given our past exchanges, I think Hermod's aware of that, even if you aren't.
    I am aware of that. I am just a little miffed over Poobert's rather insulting and ignorant description of me

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I am aware of that. I am just a little miffed over Poobert's rather insulting and ignorant description of me
    I can only imagine Poobert must have had you confused with somebody else. You are certainly one of the more dispassionate posters on DetroitYES!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You don't live in Detroit. You don't live in Metro Detroit. You don't live in the region. You don't even live in the state of Michigan. You haven't contributed anything to the above in over 50 years so tell us again why we should give a shit about what the fuck you have to say on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    You don't live in Detroit. You don't live in Metro Detroit. You don't live in the region. You don't even live in the state of Michigan. You haven't contributed anything to the above in over 50 years so tell us again why we should give a shit about what the fuck you have to say on the matter?
    Why don't you tell him how you really feel?

Hermod has some good memories of the old days to post, and you can tell he's a heavy reader and, if sometimes infuriatingly stubborn, he is at least thoughtful in his remarks. Frankly, he's no more contrarian that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Why don't you tell him how you really feel?

Hermod has some good memories of the old days to post, and you can tell he's a heavy reader and, if sometimes infuriatingly stubborn, he is at least thoughtful in his remarks. Frankly, he's no more contrarian that I am.
    That's great. He's got stories from those couple of years of his adult life that he lived in the area. I'm sure those stories are absolutely fascinating. Maybe he can write a book titled, "Detroit: Those handful of years that I lived there in the late 50's". Better yet, start a fucking thread on his enthralling tales and he and Tponetom can duke it out over who has the better yarns. I'll tell you what he SHOULDN'T do...he shouldn't go around telling the people that live here, work here, pay taxes here, invest here and try to improve things here that they are a bunch of Sim City players. A guy whose sole contribution to the state in the last 50 years has been filling up his gas tank on the way through shouldn't be criticising the people that actually do contribute, even if it's from Hamtramck Heights.

That's great. He's got stories from those couple of years of his adult life that he lived in the area. I'm sure those stories are absolutely fascinating. Maybe he can write a book titled, "Detroit: Those handful of years that I lived there in the late 50's". Better yet, start a fucking thread on his enthralling tales and he and Tponetom can duke it out over who has the better yarns. I'll tell you what he SHOULDN'T do...he shouldn't go around telling the people that live here, work here, pay taxes here, invest here and try to improve things here that they are a bunch of Sim City players. A guy whose sole contribution to the state in the last 50 years has been filling up his gas tank on the way through shouldn't be criticising the people that actually do contribute, even if it's from Hamtramck Heights.
    What is up with Hamtramck Heights today? Sounds sweet! Maybe I'll move there.

I hear you and I understand the frustration. I guess people have all sorts of motivations for posting here. And some post here to blast the city, to attack perceived enemy ideologies, to make fun of city residents, etc. In comparison, Hermod's free-market purism is pretty mild, I think.

The funny thing about disagreeing with people is that it often forces you to articulate exactly why you think they're wrong. And while it can be annoying, it can also be personally rewarding.

Anyway, I like your fire, Detroitrobert. You're going to fit right in here.

Is this JT1 or homeboy East Detroit in another name?

I hear what you're saying, but I also think it's dangerous to de-legitimize what someone is saying just because they "don't live here". That just breeds insularity which is the gist of what the o/p was complaining about in the first place. I disagree with Hermod a lot but he does add perspective, particularly since he's one of the few people here who actually lived in 2 million resident Detroit.

This thread jumped the shark though, especially when one of the resident trolls [[with such an accurate user name) jumped in and started throwing out personal attacks to disrupt the discussion.

I grew up in Detroit. I was educated in the Detroit Public Schools. Most of my family still live in an arc from Ann Arbor through Oxford to New Baltimore. I am also quite an afficionado of the Detroit area streetcar and interurban systems. I feel that I have contributed to many of the discussions here regarding the history of public transit and the highway systems of the area.
    Last edited by Hermod; April-17-12 at 04:33 PM.

Because he's one of many forumers who's posted here for a long time and who just happens to live elsewhere... such as the Netherlands, Toronto, Brooklyn, the Carolina's, California, Nevada, Oregon... and all points in between... and all are welcome to post here to give their own unique perspective on what this region is doing wrong... and give other ideas on what it may take to correct the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Because he's one of many forumers who's posted here for a long time and who just happens to live elsewhere... such as the Netherlands, Toronto, Brooklyn, the Carolina's, California, Nevada, Oregon... and all points in between... and all are welcome to post here to give their own unique perspective on what this region is doing wrong... and give other ideas on what it may take to correct the situation...

You're right, Gistok. Calling the people that have actually lived in the area within the past 50 years Sim City players, while not doing a goddamn thing yourself, is a great way to "give other ideas on what it may take to correct the situation..." as you so put it. You are absolutely right, I should have recognized his glaring contribution to the subject and that is my fault. I appologize for not identifying such a unique, vast, and worthwhile gift to us.