Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Jjaba and The Rock used to be good friends... I wonder if either or both are still alive? I believe Jjaba moved to Portland, and The Rock lived in Grosse Pointe Shores. They were already retired long ago. Of course if Ray 1936 is still with us [and he's older than dirt ], then maybe?

Jjaba was great on this forum... he always referred to himself in the "3rd person".
    Sad to report that Arnold "Arnie" Panitch [[aka Jjaba) died just a couple months ago.
    https://obits.oregonlive.com/us/obit...ry?id=53620805

His DYes handle Jjaba was derived from the first initials of the names of his three children, his wife, and himself: Joel, Jason, Adam, Barbara, Arnold.

Back in 2007, he honored me with a selection of postcards in honor of my 2000th DYes post. Just weeks later I sent him a prize honoring his 5000th DYes post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Sad to report that Arnold "Arnie" Panitch [[aka Jjaba) died just a couple months ago....
    <gasp> No one could possibly meet the standards required to replace him. He was a truly unique individual.

Thank you, Kathleen.

Happy Anniversary Fabulous Ruins of Detroit.

Sad to report that Arnold "Arnie" Panitch [aka Jjaba] died just a couple months ago.
    Damn. I am greatly saddened to learn this. I had kept in touch with jjaba, IRL Arnie, across the years. I took him on a tour of Detroit July 6, 2005 along with Rock and a friend of Rock's, whose name I do not recall. In Sept. of 2018, he returned the favor by taking my wife and I on a streetcar tour of Portland, when I passed through there following my Peace Corps reunion in Northern California.

I last heard from him this past October 29, when he emailed one his jokes but there was no mention of any health issues. Beside adding levity and Detroit history to this forum he was indispensable in providing information on Detroit Jewish history and culture when I was creating the Lost Synagogues of Detroit site.

Jjaba with the Rock [left] at the site of the Studebaker Plant on Piquette. on July 6, 2005. The abandoned plant had burned down earlier that year. Jjaba took a brick home as a memento.

Addendum: The Studebaker site is today, and has been for about ten years, the site of a large four-story affordable residence for veterans

Sad to report that Arnold "Arnie" Panitch [[aka Jjaba) died just a couple months ago.

His DYes handle Jjaba was derived from the first initials of the names of his three children, his wife, and himself: Joel, Jason, Adam, Barbara, Arnold.

Back in 2007, he honored me with a selection of postcards in honor of my 2000th DYes post. Just weeks later I sent him a prize honoring his 5000th DYes post.

Thats tragic. That answers my question. I used to love his wit and humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Thats tragic. That answers my question. I used to love his wit and humor.
    Hey old timer... Remember how Jjaba used to talk in the 3rd person about himself... it was one of the things that made him such a colorful character! As I mentioned to Kathleen... Jjaba used to reminisce going to Tiger games with his girlfriend... where "he kissed her on the strikes, and she kissed him on the balls"!!
    Last edited by Gistok; January-16-24 at 09:13 PM.

Thank you Lowell! As I mentioned in another thread Detroityes is a great reference point for historical information for Detroit! Happy New Year!

I realize it it has been a minute since Jjaba passed, but I think we should all take the opportunity and write something on the memorial page displayed above.