Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MichMatters Guest

Default David Stott Building Discussion

Every once in awhile there is a thread on this building, but of all of downtown's major skyscrapers, this one gets the least attention and the least seems to be known about its recent history. I've tried to do a little research to little avail.

Does anyone know the name of the company that currently owns the building? Is it actively being leased? The only thing I've been able to find on it is that a Marusich Architecture has a renovation plan for it listed under their "Current Projects" on their website:

David Stott Building
    1150 Griswold Street
    Detroit, Michigan

Adaptive reuse development of a 35 story historic Art Deco office building [[circa 1928) into 128 luxury condominium lofts and ground floor retail.

Construction cost: $18,750,000

Status: The current Owner/Developers are in process sercuring funding committment with TCF bank.
    God knows how "current" this is. So, anyone knows who owns the tower?

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    Every once in awhile there is a thread on this building, but of all of downtown's major skyscrapers, this one gets the least attention and the least seems to be known about its recent history. I've tried to do a little research to little avail.

Does anyone know the name of the company that currently owns the building? Is it actively being leased? The only thing I've been able to find on it is that a Marusich Architecture has a renovation plan for it listed under their "Current Projects" on their website:

Not sure I would call it deco_ the lobby certainly is not deco. Years ago I would go to the upper floors where the 'ABX studios were.One summer night we went to the roof quite a spectacle as Detroit was still thriving then......lots of lights.

MichMatters Guest

When they usually talk about the style of a building, they are usually talking about the exterior stylings and proportions, and this is most definitely art deco.

I had an office in the David Stott Building back in 1999 but we had to move because there were just too many problems..no janitorial services, no heat, plumbing issues, and just overall up keep. I don't know if it is still being used.

MichMatters Guest

Oh, it's still in use. But, I do wonder how much of it? It has to be extremely low occupancy. It's definitely not a tower commercially marketed on anythign beyond a word-of-mouth scale.

the Stott is my favorite skyscraper down there. I love the lines. it's nice that it never ended up like the Broderick. Ownership must somewhat care about it.

bartock Guest

That Marusich company claims to have an office there, but the number no longer works. I only see the same lights up around floors 25-35 on every night. It appears that most if not all of the building above floor 3 is dead. Much like the Broderick Tower, if that building was ever thriving it would really stand out being lit up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    That Marusich company claims to have an office there, but the number no longer works. I only see the same lights up around floors 25-35 on every night. It appears that most if not all of the building above floor 3 is dead. Much like the Broderick Tower, if that building was ever thriving it would really stand out being lit up at night.
    It definitely has an office there: I was just in it about a month or so ago. They're on the 34th floor - and take up more than half that floor. When I was in the Stott, only ONE elevator worked. You can imagine how long it takes to catch a ride when it's going all the way to the top and back. That's the sorta thing that drives tenants away.

Back in the 70's and early 80s my father had a law firm on the 30th and 31st floors. Because of my parents deteriorating marriage I some times would spend days with him at the building. I remember rooming the stairs for hours, sometimes going up to the ABX station office just above. Other times he would safety pin some money and a note to me saying 'give this boy a 6 pack of Strohs beer and a carton of Kool cigarettes" and send me across the street to the store across from Lafeyette Coney Island. I also got busted another time for throwing out my weebles to see them plummel to the streets. Not the best parenting to be sure but it did leave quite a few strong impression, many of which still commonly come back to me in my dreams.

My last time back there, about seven years ago, I dropped in at the building and after talking to the guard about my memories he gave me the keys to both floors, which were both empty at the time. The 2 things that struck me were how small it really is [[much smaller than my childhood memories lead me to believe) and what a great view it now has on Comerica Park. From where my fathers old desk once sat you can see directly across to home plate.

I hope who ever owns it now treasures and rpeserves it for what it is.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    It definitely has an office there: I was just in it about a month or so ago. They're on the 34th floor - and take up more than half that floor. When I was in the Stott, only ONE elevator worked. You can imagine how long it takes to catch a ride when it's going all the way to the top and back. That's the sorta thing that drives tenants away.
    If I'm not being too bold, for what were you visiting Marusich?

Yes, this has always been one of my favorite skyscrapers in all of downtown. Excellent proportions. In fact, the proportions [[and lack of towers immediately around it) make the tower look much taller than it actually is.

He offered to get us on the roof. I took him up on the offer.
    I wish I had the money to invest in architectural business, but alas, BuildingsofDetroit.com is a nonprofit, ad-free Web site.

Retroit Guest

Very nice first post, Detroitus. Welcome.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    He offered to get us on the roof. I took him up on the offer.
    Well, when you next visit, be sure to ask their office about the plans discovered on their website.

I'm still interested in knowing who owns this property, and if its locally [[in)famous name or just an individual eking by.

Yes, this has always been one of my favorite skyscrapers in all of downtown. Excellent proportions. In fact, the proportions [[and lack of towers immediately around it) make the tower look much taller than it actually is.
    Yes, it is a beautiful building. And the scale is somewhat askew because of it's location. It was owned at one time in recent years by an individual - an attorney who had his offices in the building. I tried to interest some prospective tenants in leasing space but it didn't suit their needs. I haven't spoken to the attorney in quite a while. I just assumed, until recently, that he still owned it. Talk here at DY has led me to believe he may not. Did an out of town company buy it in the past year or two, with plans to renovate?

i to was invited by John Marusich to visit the top floor of the Stott. Met him one night at the motor bar in the Book Cady. John has a great vision for this city and the buildngs. I was also invited by him to tour the old free press building with and a film crew about possible renovations to it. Great guy with a wealth on knowledge about the history of these abandon landmarks.

Another great thread on DetroitYES. Thanks for sharing everybody, especially Detroitus. I'm learning!

The owner is Nick Tsalis, an attorney. I met with him today because I am looking for places for my company to move to downtown. Just some information I learned from meeting with him that you people might be interested to know...the building is about 30% used and there is less then a dozen tenants.

MichMatters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    The owner is Nick Tsalis, an attorney. I met with him today because I am looking for places for my company to move to downtown. Just some information I learned from meeting with him that you people might be interested to know...the building is about 30% used and there is less then a dozen tenants.
    Thanks for that, Zack.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Thanks Zack. I've known him for years but haven't spoken to him in a couple. I'm glad Nick's still hanging on. The building makes a nice law office. I tried to get the Detroit Filmmakers CoOp a/k/a the Detroit Film Center to move there prior to the Book Building. They had so many problems with the Book, I bet [[I know) they wished they'd moved to Nick's building instead. Anyway, Nick and the Stott are still there - that's good news.

The Stott is my favorite skyscraper in the city. Just like the building's quiet image, the architects Donaldson and Meier are also not as well known as they should be. Their contribution to the city's architectual history especially all of their commissions for the Archdiocese of Detroit are quite extensive!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-18-09 at 11:53 PM.

Welcome to the Forum, Detroitus. Your first post was a good one.
    My law firm was on the 32nd floor of the Guardian Building in the 70's/80's. What was the name of your Dad's firm in the David Stott Building? I bet I knew some of his members.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, Detroitus. Your first post was a good one.
    My law firm was on the 32nd floor of the Guardian Building in the 70's/80's. What was the name of your Dad's firm in the David Stott Building? I bet I knew some of his members.

My father was Robert Corace. His law partner was Kenneth Webb. I think they had there offices there from the early 70s to early 80s. Before then he worked at the Penobscot

A couple other things i remember about the buildings is how great the 4th of July Fireworks show was at that level. Basically at the 30th floor you were eye level with the exploding fireworks over the river.

Also they still had elevator operators but they only worked during the day. After hours you had to operate the elevators yourself with a wheel like device to direct the elevator up or down. Some times I would be allowed to man the wheel which was a complete thrill. I thought this definitely what I wanted to do when I grew up. I don't think I have seen another elevator operator any where since except for old movies.

What was the old, black guy's name who was the door man for years?

I always wondered about the David Scott Building, it never looked very occupied or full to me but I knew that it wasn't completely vacant because it was still in pretty good shape. It doesn't look at all as bad as the Book Building.

It's also one of my favorite skyscrapers downtown, I hope that it can be occupied with more companies eventually.

the Stott is showing up in a lot of the Lafayette building demolition photos. looks like it will be a lot more visible in a bit, hopefully those DEDG guys ain't getting any silly ideas.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast