Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I wonder if you even can design a mammoth convention center that coexists with human scale. Is there a good example I'm missing?
    Again, I direct your attention to the FieraMilano...

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Again, I direct your attention to the FieraMilano...
    Not to dispute that it isn't built on a human scale, but it seems too "monumental" to not detract from an urban environment. [[The kind of building that demands you view it from a distance, usually, in this country, across a parking lot.) And isn't that just plunked down in the middle of a highway intersection, not a city?

Stosh Guest

I like the looks of this one,way smaller than Cobo by far. But scale is OK.

The Hynes Convention Center

An all-inclusive Boston convention center, the Hynes Convention Center is integrated into the historic and shopping heart of the city. Recipient of multiple planner's choice awards, the Hynes offers:
    • 176,480 square feet of flexible exhibit and auditorium space
    • 38 meeting rooms
    • 24,544 square foot ballroom
    • Technical advantages including wired and wireless Internet access throughout
    In addition to being an ideally located, all-inclusive, all-weather convention center, the Hynes is also uniquely well-connected, attached to over 3,100 hotel rooms and two upscale malls.
    Nice flash animation details the center. Shit no wonder we can't compete.

http://www.advantageboston.com/Flash...ynes-tour.html
    Last edited by Stosh; December-01-09 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I like the looks of this one,way smaller than Cobo by far. But scale is OK.

The Hynes Convention Center

An all-inclusive Boston convention center, the Hynes Convention Center is integrated into the historic and shopping heart of the city. Recipient of multiple planner's choice awards, the Hynes offers:
    • 176,480 square feet of flexible exhibit and auditorium space
    • 38 meeting rooms
    • 24,544 square foot ballroom
    • Technical advantages including wired and wireless Internet access throughout
    In addition to being an ideally located, all-inclusive, all-weather convention center, the Hynes is also uniquely well-connected, attached to over 3,100 hotel rooms and two upscale malls.
    I've been to the Hynes Center. I'm actually unsure of the human scale compared to Cobo, because I never entered the Hynes center from the street [[my hotel was directly connected to the convention center). The pictures that I Google'd do seem to show that the main entrance is scaled well to the street. However, the side of the building closest to my hotel was surrounded by large streets and had no pedestrian access. It was a lot like the areas of Cobo along Congress, west of Washington Blvd where it's just a big wall with entrances/exits to the parking structure.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I've been to the Hynes Center. I'm actually unsure of the human scale compared to Cobo, because I never entered the Hynes center from the street [[my hotel was directly connected to the convention center). The pictures that I Google'd do seem to show that the main entrance is scaled well to the street. However, the side of the building closest to my hotel was surrounded by large streets and had no pedestrian access. It was a lot like the areas of Cobo along Congress, west of Washington Blvd where it's just a big wall with entrances/exits to the parking structure.
    Well, it's walkable, in any event. A convention center caters to the convention goer, generally not the passer by. Connected to the hotel as well, a plus. See above post for the flash presentation for this center.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Well, it's walkable, in any event. A convention center caters to the convention goer, generally not the passer by. Connected to the hotel as well, a plus. See above post for the flash presentation for this center.
    A building, especially a LARGE and PUBLIC building, still needs to respect its surroundings. Cobo gives a giant "fuck you" to the surrounding blocks.