Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Yes.

Bing or Duggan? Bing has consistently demonstrated a lack of leadership especially through this financial review board fiasco. He vacillates, hides from the public, makes conflicting statements, and one day appears conciliatory and the other combative. His extended hospital visits are a problem, too. While he certainly has no appearance of corruption, he allowed it to carry over from the Kwame years under his watch and his office, conversely, has been a revolving door for talented people because of his mismanagement.

Frankly we can't afford to have a sick old man who is a weak leader and a failed businessman in office. I can't even believe I just had to type that.

Duggan worries me only because of his electability because:
    he's white
    no populist credentials [[which is indeed a legitimate problem)

I believe if Bing runs again he will win by virtue of name recognition and Duggan being white. If Bing doesn't run it could actually be a competitive race between Pugh and Duggan. Remember, Pugh garnered the highest votes for Council last year and again, the two biggest factors in any Detroit election - race and name recognition ! - are in his favor. The hatred and ignorance here run deep. Everyone pointed to Bing saying it was a sign of the healing of the suburban/city divide - sure, as long as we're talking about black suburbanites and black city residents.

Would Duggan be a good mayor? I can't think of any non-governmental agencies quite as massive and complex as a medical center. It seems he would be well prepared for the complexities of city government. What about the poor folks? Well, Kwame, Bing, and Ficano certainly haven't been doing them any favors, now have they?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Duggan worries me only because of his electability because:
    he's white
    no populist credentials [[which is indeed a legitimate problem)

I believe if Bing runs again he will win by virtue of name recognition and Duggan being white. If Bing doesn't run it could actually be a competitive race between Pugh and Duggan. Remember, Pugh garnered the highest votes for Council last year and again, the two biggest factors in any Detroit election - race and name recognition ! - are in his favor. The hatred and ignorance here run deep. Everyone pointed to Bing saying it was a sign of the healing of the suburban/city divide - sure, as long as we're talking about black suburbanites and black city residents.

I'd say if it were down to anybody white and King Kwame', KK would win by a landslide for no other reason. Remember, this is the kind of city in question: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Brinker-Street