Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone told you this is DETROIT?

Does anyone really care about Datsun, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or any other import for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

Does anyone really care about Datsun, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or any other import for that matter?
    Nissan-Datsun one in the same company. Datsun renamed itself after the parent company to avoid bad name recognition due to very poor products. Also yes there are many who care about imports and not just those from Japan!

Just the first minute shows a quadfecta of brands that were awful the late '60s/early '70s: Fiats, Subarus, Datsuns, and AMC!

HB
    Last edited by Huggybear; February-18-12 at 02:34 PM.

Plenty of junk out of Detroit in that era also, I'll take a lean burn Chrysler, a 4-6-8 caddy or 120 hp 350 cubic inch. Or maybe I want the aluminum blocked Vega or firetrap Pinto ?

That said I'll take drag racing of any other kind of racing. Love the lyrics from Bob Seger "The pony cars are cruisin' on woodward avenue Go and try to pass'em They'll smoke you if you do"

Laugh your ass off about AMC Jeeps, but they were the first AMERICAN car to win an FIA World Rally Championship event. They did it in the 1972 Press On Regardless Rally with two guys from the Detroit area.

http://www.moparmagazine.com/2009/ja...egardless.html

The driver was Gene Henderson, a cop with Dearborn was the lead driver and Ken Pogue was co-driver and navigator - he was a classmate of mine at Cass Tech.

Coming into the final stages they had such a commanding lead that they decided to run the Jeep through a car wash and cleaa off all the caked on mud so it would look good in the victory circle. And that it did. The PR guys had a fit as the Jeep did not look "battle worn" so they smeared it with mud to take the PR photos.

What a dumb ass remark why did you fucking click it.

People like this care

http://www.detroitdatsun.com/ And many other people in the DETROIT area. .
    Last edited by black gold man; February-18-12 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Laugh your ass off about AMC Jeeps, but they were the first AMERICAN car to win an FIA World Rally Championship event. They did it in the 1972 Press On Regardless Rally with two guys from the Detroit area.

http://www.moparmagazine.com/2009/ja...egardless.html

The driver was Gene Henderson, a cop with Dearborn was the lead driver and Ken Pogue was co-driver and navigator - he was a classmate of mine at Cass Tech.

Coming into the final stages they had such a commanding lead that they decided to run the Jeep through a car wash and cleaa off all the caked on mud so it would look good in the victory circle. And that it did. The PR guys had a fit as the Jeep did not look "battle worn" so they smeared it with mud to take the PR photos.
    Good to see your contributions here i will be doing more research on this and hope to find more video
    Thank you for the link.
    BGM

<font size="4"> .

Keep a eye out for BGM in his DATSUN next couple weeks running 94 west from Conner to 96 west in his 30yr old
    POS as a daily driver.............
    BGM

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    What a dumb ass remark why did you fucking click it.

People like this care

http://www.detroitdatsun.com/ And many other people in the DETROIT area. .
    LMFAO I love this site. Technical info NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Just the first minute shows a quadfecta of brands that were awful the late '60s/early '70s: Fiats, Subarus, Datsuns, and AMC!

HB
    I will take my 69 AMX and put it up against any competitor of the time! Also a good friend's father who "had" to drive an ambassador many years beyond its expected lifetime, most of its competitors barely lasted half as long as the amabassador did. And for Subaru, except for some rust issues were mechanically is solid as they are today.

LMFAO I love this site. Technical info NONE

The only thing it was to inform you of was your a dumb ass..

To p69rrh51:

You have an AMX too?? Mine is a 1968 with 23,500 miles and my brother has a 1969 that he customized. Welcome to the club.Name:  1968 AMX 75mb.JPG
Views: 1534
Size:  74.6 KB

The only thing it was to inform you of was your a dumb ass..
    Take another hit off that Datsun tail pipe and chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Plenty of junk out of Detroit in that era also, I'll take a lean burn Chrysler, a 4-6-8 caddy or 120 hp 350 cubic inch. Or maybe I want the aluminum blocked Vega or firetrap Pinto ?

That said I'll take drag racing of any other kind of racing. Love the lyrics from Bob Seger "The pony cars are cruisin' on woodward avenue Go and try to pass'em They'll smoke you if you do"
    Here is an example of datsun drag racing just for you.

And you don't need something fancy.

Take another hit off that Datsun tail pipe and chill out.
    Ok your here that means your into DATSUNS.

Take a look at this guys addiction. There are many videos.

Every year dec 25 open party at jims.

To p69rrh51:

You have an AMX too?? Mine is a 1968 with 23,500 miles and my brother has a 1969 that he customized. Welcome to the club.Name:  1968 AMX 75mb.JPG
Views: 1534
Size:  74.6 KB
    Nice wheels!! I hope you add a least a few miles every year.
    Also while not being a big fan of most Japanese manufacturers I would not mind owning a 240Z or a Toyota 2000GT.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-18-12 at 11:09 PM.

You can get one of the best 240s out there for 10 to 15 grand or as little as 500 bucks.
    But the Toyota will set you back 300,000
    Look what they did to this one.

http://www.autoviva.com/news/toyota_...ed_2000gt/2356

Here is another DETROIT datsun hater.
    Eyes on Design car show

Every fathers day at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House

see you there. There is a video of toyota gt 2000
    at the show but i cant find it.
    BGM

Look at that vet looks like a Z
    Last edited by black gold man; February-19-12 at 12:37 AM.

Can you name this car?

Hahaha, awesome!

detroitjim Guest

Can you name this car?
    Yup.........It a Canyonnaro!

That's right, look around there are plenty of Detroiters striving here with all matter of car [[if lucky seeing how the bus situation is). Yeah I recall the crud of Datsun and have never owned a Nissan! I am a Ford and Toyota driver for the most part, long term what I like to drive. I did drive a Nissan Maxima for a bit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Nissan-Datsun one in the same company. Datsun renamed itself after the parent company to avoid bad name recognition due to very poor products. Also yes there are many who care about imports and not just those from Japan!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-12 at 09:11 AM.

Can you name this car?
    Ford's reaction to the Superbird, King Cobra

We have a winner kinda has the zx look in front.

Well, that was fun! That was the year I bought my Dodge Colt, and there she was,or her alter ego, running the POR. We actually talked about running DH's Toyota in that rally. It was great to see how the rally worked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast