Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The black community wasn't the only one burning and looting.
    Really? What other group rioted?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Must have been all of them Lithuanian and Ukranian DPs who came to Detroit in late forties.

I was about 10 years old at the time. We lived on Faust and I remember my Dad, Mom and little brother driving over to my Grandma's house on Ferguson to stay with her. My Grandpa was a DPD Reserve Officer that went out to "Protect and Serve" and that would have left Grandma all alone. Papa was all dressed in his uniform with his gun and I remember my Grandma begging him not to go. Not something a kid should have to witness. I do remember it like it was yesterday. My other Grandma was living in Alden Park at the time. 7th floor, city side. She could have worked for CNN with that view! The stories she told...geeze.

There were many "white" people looting stores. Nobody stopped them to find where their parents and grandparents were from...

Ravine Guest

The following spring, the nuns warned us to be alert during summer vacation, because the word was that "they" might come out to the 'burbs, this time.
    I'm not sure who they meant. The nuns, themselves, were the ones what scared me.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    There were many "white" people looting stores. Nobody stopped them to find where their parents and grandparents were from...
    Did you witness this? I remember the riots very well since I worked for the Detroit Fire Department at that time. I don't remember seeing or hearing of whites looting and burning.

I ran into a despicable white guy who claimed to have participated in the looting with other whites. His rationalization was that the stores were already in the process of being looted and "we weren't going to let the ------s get it all".

In some situations, the theme was anarchy and looting rather than race although the stores marked 'soul' weren't usually looted until after the white owned stores.

Default Forgetting the Riots

Most of us who were there would rather forget that time period. I lived at Mack and Beaubien and had an E.ticket for the entire fiasco. I worked in health care at the time and remain amazed at the continung claim that "only" 40 some individuals lost their lives due to the riot/uprising/rebellion. The 'riot deaths' were those due to trauma caused by obvious murder or arson. Those who were killed when hit by cars, had heart attacks, didn't get to the hospital for logistical reasons, etc. were not classified as such. Eugene Methvin has written on the riots and it is worth a read. old.nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback200509011316.asp

There were two weeks of tanks on the streets with soldiers everywhere. Those of us who considered ourselves Detroiters forever abandoned that dream that month of July, 1967. I have heard many say that it was only a minor reason for the decline of the city; do not believe that. When you were there and saw what transpired, you knew Detroit was doomed to a gloomy future. I left three years later and although my memories of growing up in Detroit remain happy, I have never regretted what some may say was abandoning the city. I disagree, the city I grew up in abandoned all of us.

River rat

Ummmmm....on some real....I have always wonder where you stood at on relations here. Now I am beginning to see....

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Ummmmm....on some real....I have always wonder where you stood at on relations here. Now I am beginning to see....
    Yeah, this gives you a lot of information on where I stand doesn't it?

First person killed in the riot was a caucasian, who was suspected of stealing shoe laces from a merchant. [Detroit Almanac 2nd Edition ]