Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've always found Slow ribs totally unremarkable withstanding the hype but I love their other offerings. Sad to hear they are having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear Slows is struggling. That is why they are opening Gold Cash Gold and expanding to Grand Rapids.

Don't make any sense? Well neither does this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've always found Slow ribs totally unremarkable withstanding the hype but I love their other offerings. Sad to hear they are having trouble.
    Did you read the post you responded to?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I completely agree with you there.

But it is Detroit. You have to adjust your expectations...
    Hard to have fast food with half-fast employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've heard enough conflicting reports about Slow's, that I've never gone, and have lost interest in going. The two camps seem to be people that have never been exposed to soul food, love it, people who've had good soul food, give it a "eh". I have friends in the 'burbs that go there and think it's the bomb. I have friends in the City that say something like "yeah, we ate there once".

basketball games, I'll have to check out..

Slows isn't soul food, it is a BBQ joint...There is a major difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've heard enough conflicting reports about Slow's, that I've never gone, and have lost interest in going. The two camps seem to be people that have never been exposed to soul food, love it, people who've had good soul food, give it a "eh". I have friends in the 'burbs that go there and think it's the bomb. I have friends in the City that say something like "yeah, we ate there once".
    I have to agree with Zacha341. The sides they have are very good.

As far as the meat, I'll pass. Give me some ribs from Parks Old Style BBQ!!!
    Last edited by 313WX; October-28-14 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Ha! Murder is sooo funny. Should we make jokes about Bob Basharas wife or the kids killed in school in Washington or is murder only funny when it is Detroit. I'll make it a point to laugh about all people killed in the suburbs since the precedent is set that murder is just fucking hysterical.
    Someone needs their meds. And yeah, it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Not per se, no. Thank you for that, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    This is the exact type of self-defeatist attitude that will keep Detroit wallowing in mediocrity. I'm opening a restaurant in the city right now and we talk about building something that can stand on its own in NYC, Chicago, SF, etc. Not something that's "good enough" for Detroit. My staff will be 90% Detroiters and I don't expect any of our guests to adjust their expectations. I plan to blow people away.
    By all means, the best of luck in your ventures.

I'm just speaking from my experience however. I would love nothing else than for someone else to come along and set a new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Someone needs their meds. And yeah, it's funny.
    Sure, attack me because I am calling you out for laughing about someone being murdered. Sorry, If I had to point out your are being a fool. Perhaps, you would like to call the murder victims family and laugh about it to them.

I know that Birmingham is littered with plastic, insensitive pricks so perhaps you should get a pass. Let me know when a loved one is a victim to violence and I can laugh at you and your family. Should be good times for all of us.

I know a lot of folks that joke around about rape, and I find it to be distasteful. I could certainly feel how people would feel the same way about murder.

Agreed. With violent crime [[and even property crime) there are victims and those victims also have loved ones. Nothing funny about it no matter who it happens to and where it happens to them.

Seems to me that many people think some victims can be joked about [[based upon location or socio-economic background) while others have to be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    "I will beg and cheer for things to open in Detroit, but I'll lose interest in them once investors plunk down millions and actually open. When they're struggling because residents don't support them and investors stand to lose their shirt, I'll attack the yuppies who inquire. Then I'll get back to attacking the suburbs and L Brooks Patterson."
    Crappy service and "struggling" are two EXTREMELY different categories. I don't go to BW3 because the last half dozen times I've been downtown, it's been extremely difficult to get a seat and ETA for food was like, 1-2 hours. Instead, I went back to the Midtown area and supported local businesses, such as Honest John's, Bronx, Motor City Brewing Works, La Feria, Slows to Go, Seva, etc. It's usually a lot quieter for our anti-LBP discussions Plus I can usually get food within the hour, that's a perk too.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    It wasn't a BBQ joint when it firs opened. BBQ joints don't have valet parking. [[they don't anymore)

Seems so many here complain about the service
    Why dont you contact the manager or email head office on the website
    heads will roll if enough do and threaten not to return. I do , often you get good results!

Yes, where Slows was mentioned, I responded. You should 'respond' to the origin of the comment......

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Did you read the post you responded to?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-28-14 at 06:46 PM.

Yeah the slow service of WW is only tolerable when you're putting away pitchers of beer with friends and don't notice as much......

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-28-14 at 06:46 PM.

LOL... Just thinking about how somebody said recently that this forum is full of "cheerleaders"

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Agreed. With violent crime [[and even property crime) there are victims and those victims also have loved ones. Nothing funny about it no matter who it happens to and where it happens to them.

Seems to me that many people think some victims can be joked about [[based upon location or socio-economic background) while others have to be respected.
    Nice strawman, but no. No one joked about murder victims. "How dare you criticize Brooks Patterson, after all, he was in a car accident. JT is clearly a fan of car-crash bloodbaths!"

We joked about delusional commenters making inadverdent references to violence, while trying to do exactly the opposite. It's clueless boosterism in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    heads will roll if enough do and threaten not to return. I do , often you get good results!
    I imagine some of the other posters are like myself and just simply don't go. I can't complain to a manager of a business I don't patronize. If I do end up there are receive mediocre service though? Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    We have complained. There is no way that they are unaware that they suck.

I've found the best way is to speak with my dollars. Woodward Coney has food in front of my face in about 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Nice strawman, but no. No one joked about murder victims. "How dare you criticize Brooks Patterson, after all, he was in a car accident. JT is clearly a fan of car-crash bloodbaths!"

We joked about delusional commenters making inadverdent references to violence, while trying to do exactly the opposite. It's clueless boosterism in a nutshell.
    Posts 23 and 24 in this thread are clearly making fun of the guy that was killed outside the cigar bar downtown. If you're too much of a punk to own up to your comments that is fine.

As for clueless boosterism, nowhere do I defend or excuse the crime in the city. The crime is out of control but that doesn't make the impact of it any less real.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    We have complained. There is no way that they are unaware that they suck.
    Exactly.

And it's likely for a number of reasons. Just to name a few:

1. They're trying to save money on payroll by either operating while severely understaffed or hiring friends/family members, given how expensive it it to do business in Detroit.

2. Just plain ol' racism [[not politically correct to say, but it has been the case for many).

3. In the case of the Chaldeans, they have a monopoly on the commerce in the city and realize that you must patronize their businesses, regardless of the service or product quality they offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast