Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
I would add the Ramona at 6 Mile & Gratiot to that list as well. I thought I read somewhere that is was designed by the same architectural firm as the Grand Riviera. I was never inside the Riviera, but from the outside it looked similar.
I was in the Ramona [[Gratiot @ 6 Mile) as a young child, so my recollections are vague. From the outside it did very much resemble the Riviera/Grand Riviera [[Grand River @ Joy), with a large tall octagonal rotunda entrance.

However the insides were different, and they had different architects. The Ramona had all seating on the main floor. The Grand Riviera had a balcony as well, and at 2,786 seats was Detroit's largest and best "Atmospheric" theatre [[ceiling resembles a night time sky, sidewalls resemble a Mediterranean style courtyard). The Nederlander organization used to show their Broadway musicals at the Grand Riviera until they moved to a gutted and modernized Fisher Theatre in 1961.

The Grand Riviera was designed by John Eberson, who was America's premier Atmospheric theatre designer [[Bronx's Paradise, San Antonio Majestic, Queens Valencia, Tampa Theatre, Akron Civic, Louisville Loew's, etc.)

Thanks Mikefmich... but there's too many theatre's that I've never actually visited for me to write a book on!