Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    The problem with the RenCen is infamous. It was built away from everything. This new arena/district is being build as a connection between two vital and vibrant areas of town. Trappers Alley also suffered from isolation and AutoWorld was in Flint, need I say more?

But I agree, small businesses do help create a community, but they lack the capital to make huge improvements to such a drastic place like the CBD. Shinola or Avalon aren't gonna build a new urban landscape, they need much more capital. But they can only stand to benefit from new residents and businesses.
    Only in Detroit does a new superblock monolith "connect" places. What does the arena connect?--I-75 to the Ilitch Parkingplex? Your wallet to Olympia's bank?

You want to improve the urban landscape in the CBD? Stop giving property to Mike Ilitch. Start demanding your government spend its money on landscaping instead of handing it to Mike Ilitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Only in Detroit does a new superblock monolith "connect" places. What does the arena connect?--I-75 to the Ilitch Parkingplex? Your wallet to Olympia's bank?

You want to improve the urban landscape in the CBD? Stop giving property to Mike Ilitch. Start demanding your government spend its money on landscaping instead of handing it to Mike Ilitch.
    Well I'm so glad blocks of unused land and parking deserts is also now considered connected as well. But the government can't do those things because they are bankrupt, so now we are letting the private sector do it but we're getting pissy that they are doing something!

Woodward from Jefferson to the Blvd. could be our Yonge or Broadway, but empty lots and abandoned buildings aren't getting us very far.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Well I'm so glad blocks of unused land and parking deserts is also now considered connected as well. But the government can't do those things because they are bankrupt, so now we are letting the private sector do it but we're getting pissy that they are doing something!

Woodward from Jefferson to the Blvd. could be our Yonge or Broadway, but empty lots and abandoned buildings aren't getting us very far.
    Well, you should talk to the guy who owns most of that wasteland. Hint: His initials are M.I.