Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Was it All-Star Lanes?
    That doesn't ring a bell either. Maybe I'll just Google the addresses around there. Thanks for the response.

<P>
    I believe that was Nottingham Bar Tsom
    </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>and the old gentleman was probably Paul Cito.</P>
    <P>Great teacher, never had a lesson from him, but knew a lot of folks that did. </P>

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    <P></P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>and the old gentleman was probably Paul Cito.</P>
    <P>Great teacher, never had a lesson from him, but knew a lot of folks that did. </P>
    I know Mr. Cito moved around, I think he gave lessons at East Warren and possibly Ritters too.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Was it Pioneer?

On second thought I think that was on Utica just south of Hall Road, the only place north on Van Dyle was Van Dyke Bowl but I thought it was a little further nother than 1/2 mile and there was Bill Spargo's place up the road on Van Dyke a few more miles, tha name escapes me now.

Spargo's place was Shelby Bowl

Colonial lanes was on Van Dyke just north of Hall rd. next to the Sveden House restaurant.
    It's been a warehouse for Weingartz equipment for quite awhile now.

I know Mr. Cito moved around, I think he gave lessons at East Warren and possibly Ritters too.
    That name sure rings a bell, I'd bet that was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    That name sure rings a bell, I'd bet that was him.
    I can still remember some of his teaching techniques. He would walk down the lane a bit and straddle it and have you bowl between his legs. I remember being nervous as all hell, thinking I was going to nail him with the ball. I never did, but I bet he either had great reflexes or some serious bruises.

I also remember him teaching me how to release the ball. "The thumb is the brakes and the fingers are the gas!"

Great memories, thanks all!

Default Doug Bradford Passes

Before the advent of the internet, Doug Bradford [[News) and Matt Fiorito [[Freep) were one of the few resources for local bowling news in the Detroit area.

http://detnews.com/article/20090829/...e-beat-at-News

Anyone remember Timber Lanes in East Detroit [[Eastpointe)?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Sure, on the east side of Gratiot. Bowled there quite a few times. It changed names at some point

Default Pioneer

Spargo's place was Shelby Bowl
    Pioneer opened in 1968 or 1969 and most of the equipment installed there originated from the old Palace Lanes in Detroit that was located on Gratiot near Forest. Palace in the 1930's-1940's was home to the Stroh's bowling team with Joe Norris and Fred Wolf. Of course later when Wolf owned Eastland it seemed his ambition was to have the highest bowling rates in the area.

Paul Cito was based out of Ritter's around 1966-67 and perhaps before that.

Originally Posted by jerrytimes

Sure, on the east side of Gratiot. Bowled there quite a few times. It changed names at some point
    Apollo now.

Apollo is on Gratiot north of 12 Mile across from the former site of the old Topper/Leisure Lanes. Timber was at 9 Mile-ish.

Yes, Gratiot just north of Nine mile.

Used to holda tournament, cannot recall the name, proceeds went to Deceased Police officers families. The last night of the tournament the lanes were open all night. One time bowled all night got home 7 AM on Sunday.
    This was back in the 70's.

Help me out here with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post

Yes, Gratiot just north of Nine mile.

Used to holda tournament, cannot recall the name, proceeds went to Deceased Police officers families. The last night of the tournament the lanes were open all night. One time bowled all night got home 7 AM on Sunday.
    This was back in the 70's.

Help me out here with the name.
    I remember that tournament Slick. Ughh, I can't recall the name either right now. I may have some old Bowler's Digests around I can scour.

Here's a partial list of Detroit area bowling alleys from Detroit Memories. I found six on Gratiot. It says Centennial is at Gratiot and Toepfer, which is 9 1/2 mile.
    Last edited by jcole; August-31-09 at 10:27 AM.

Centennial Lanes became Eastpointe Bowl. It was shut down this year when the roof collapsed. The owner just recently brought Banaza Lanes from Community Bowling Centers on Hoover south of 10 Mile Rd. in Warren, MI. The owner decided to sell the Eastpointe Bowl to someone else and focus his profits on Banaza Lanes.
    Last edited by Danny; August-31-09 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Centennial/Timber Lanes became Eastpointe Bowl. It was shut down this year when the roof collapsed. The owner just recently brought Banaza Lanes from Community Bowling Centers on Hoover south of 10 Mile Rd. in Warren, MI. The owner decided to sell the Eastpointe Bowl to someone else and focus his profits on Banaza Lanes.
    Timber and Centennial were separate bowling alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_of_None View Post
    Colonial lanes was on Van Dyke just north of Hall rd. next to the Sveden House restaurant.
    It's been a warehouse for Weingartz equipment for quite awhile now.
    Thanks, 1_of_None. That sounds correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    Apollo is on Gratiot north of 12 Mile across from the former site of the old Topper/Leisure Lanes. Timber was at 9 Mile-ish.
    TimberTimber Lanes Bowling24550 Gratiot Avenue Eastpointe, MI 48021
    [[810) 771-8980

Your right - my bad!

Glad to help Jimaz
    My family traveled everywhere rolling tournaments and leagues, but Colonial was home.

BowlDetroit: Nice spread in the current U.S. Youth Bowling Magazine showing your collection. Congratulations!!

That address for Timber Lanes would put it just south of where Pep Boys is now, a few blocks south of 10 Mile Road.

For the record, I lived in that area when Timber Lanes came down. The Pep Boys IS where Timber Lanes was.

I saw this DN in yesterday's papers. Mr. Lindemann was a mainstay in the Detroit All-Star Classic for years.

LINDEMANN, ROLAND "TONY"
    LINDEMANN ROLAND "TONY" December 4, 2009. Age 90. Beloved husband of the late Barbara. Loving father of Diana Rice. Proud grandfather of Robert [[Debra) Farmer, Gerald [[Nancy) Farmer, Marie Sheridan and Jade Rice and great-grandfather of Taylor, Jessica, Chase and Aaron. Dear brother of Walter and Robert [[Vivian) Lindemann. Also survived by many dear nieces and nephews. Mr. Lindemann was inducted in the Pro Bowler Hall of Fame in 1979. Visitation Monday 3-9 p.m. and Tuesday 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. Funeral Service at Wujek-Calcaterra & Sons, Inc. 36900 Schoenherr at Metro Parkway [[16 Mile). Share memories with the family at their "On-Line Guest Book" at WujekCalcaterra.com.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast