"I smoke marijuana, but I can't get behind your wars; and most of what I do believe is against most of your laws." [[Quicksilver Messenger Service - "What About Me?") -

The ironic thing about this is that while I really believed that I couldn't "get behind your wars" [[in Vietnam), I ended up getting drafted and sent to Vietnam - This after telling my dad instead of getting drafted into the Army, I wanted to join the Marines [[I didn't want to dodge the draft or go to Canada - and I have nothing against the people who did) - He said "What are you NUTS??" "Do you want to go to Vietnam?" I said not really [[dad was a Marine in Korea) - He said "Join the Navy, and you won't go." - I took his advice, but got sent to 'Nam anyway and became a member of an Air Rescue Crew rescuing downed pilots in North Vietnam off the aircraft carrier USS Midway CVA-41 - He was beside himself and worried about me from the time I went to boot camp until I was discharged - Dad was a good man and a good father [[the 19th anniversary of his death was September 16, 1992), he actually offered to give me money and assistance if I wanted to move to Toronto, and we were by no means rich - Don't know why these things popped into my mind, they seem to be more prevalent lately, I guess I'm getting old.