Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default I live in Chicago and we have a water taxi

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    NYC Still has ferries.
    The water taxi costs about$3 a ride up and down the river. Nice ride, but it doesn't travel in the winter months. It's used by working people.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    The water taxi costs about$3 a ride up and down the river. Nice ride, but it doesn't travel in the winter months. It's used by working people.

NYC also has the Staten Island Ferry, which I once used to commute to Manhattan. It runs year-round, is free of charge, and is about a 30 minute ride that gives great views of the Statue of Liberty and the downtown skyline. For people living on Staten Island, it is a significant form of transportation, but it is predominantly used for commuting. It runs less frequently in off-times and is much less traveled.

The Staten Island ferry was originally a car ferry, but since 9-11, cars have not been allowed. In fact, three new ferries delivered for service after 9-11 were designed for cars and have car bays, but cars have never been allowed on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    NYC also has the Staten Island Ferry, which I once used to commute to Manhattan. It runs year-round, is free of charge, and is about a 30 minute ride that gives great views of the Statue of Liberty and the downtown skyline.
    And for people living in New York in the summer without A/C, it's the best way to cool off for an hour...

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    The Staten Island ferry was originally a car ferry, but since 9-11, cars have not been allowed. In fact, three new ferries delivered for service after 9-11 were designed for cars and have car bays, but cars have never been allowed on them.
    An aside, I actually saw those ferries coming down the Detroit River on their way to be delivered! I had to do a double take. "What the heck.... that looks like the Staten Island Ferry! It is, it is, the Staten Island Ferry!"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    An aside, I actually saw those ferries coming down the Detroit River on their way to be delivered! I had to do a double take. "What the heck.... that looks like the Staten Island Ferry! It is, it is, the Staten Island Ferry!"
    Very interesting DetroitPlanner! That would have been a cool sight to see. Thanks for sharing the story. I do remember that the three new ferries were built in Wisconsin, so it makes sense that they would come through Detroit.