Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

The Crain's article in the 1st post states 108 hotel rooms. This article states 130 rooms PLUS 180 residential units. I don't see how a 19 story building with a large atrium could have this many units. Isn't the Broderick only going to have 125?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The Crain's article in the 1st post states 108 hotel rooms. This article states 130 rooms PLUS 180 residential units. I don't see how a 19 story building with a large atrium could have this many units. Isn't the Broderick only going to have 125?
    The footprint of the Whitney building is much larger than the Broderick.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    The footprint of the Whitney building is much larger than the Broderick.
    Yeah, but it has half as many stories. I am skeptical of the numbers. There is no way they can fit 180 residential units on top of 100+ hotel rooms. Maybe 180 total units, but I'm still not sure. I would be ecstatic if it were 180 residential units though, because with all of the demand for it right now, there is no supply and the only thing underway is the Broderick.

I agree esp, my thoughts exactly. The footprint is larger, but there's also a hole in the middle. There's no way you could have 180 just apts, even studios. The Broderick is taller, too. I'm sure it's just a typo, probably 100+80, or less.

I'm glad to see the Whitney renovated, but I'm not crazy about the market that it wants to cater to. A hotel full of 20 and 30 somethings can be very rowdy. Why not focus on being a well-run hotel that caters to all? There was something else that bothered me. Somewhere, not sure if it was in the article, it was said that the owners want the lobby to take on a disco/nightclub feel. What would that involve? As beautiful as the lobby is, why would you want to change it? When I think of a disco/nightclub, I think of a darkly lit place with a disco ball.

i'd like to hang out here once it's renovated.. hmm.. I wonder how expensive a one-bed apartment would be..

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I'm glad to see the Whitney renovated, but I'm not crazy about the market that it wants to cater to. A hotel full of 20 and 30 somethings can be very rowdy. Why not focus on being a well-run hotel that caters to all? There was something else that bothered me. Somewhere, not sure if it was in the article, it was said that the owners want the lobby to take on a disco/nightclub feel. What would that involve? As beautiful as the lobby is, why would you want to change it? When I think of a disco/nightclub, I think of a darkly lit place with a disco ball.
    Well, I like the concept of an eclectic boutique hotel that attracts younger people to stay in the CBD. I mean, isn't part of what we're trying to do is bring young people back to Detroit by offering amenities comparable to other cities? New York and Chicago have dozens of edgy boutique hotels that are likely found to be more appealing to the 20-40 yr-old crowd.

Also, there's no reason that the lobby has to be tacky. It can be very posh while still honoring the building's rich historical characteristics. I know I've mention it before, but the Liberty Hotel in Boston, which is one of the nicest boutique hotels in the city, has a lobby that doubles as an upscale nightclub. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and it was not rowdy. Definitely edgy and sleek. The decor was modern integrated with the building's unique history as a jail. If you were young and had money, it was the place to be at night, with lots of beautiful people and expensive drinks. During the day, it just looked like the lobby of a very upscale hotel. I actually hope Roxbury looks to the Liberty for inspiration, as the interiors of the two buildings have a similar grandiose, ascending effect.Take a look: http://www.libertyhotel.com/

I did some quick google measuring and calculations. Even with the light court excluded, David Whitney has 3 times the footprint of Broderick. Making the Whitney roughly 300,000sqft to Brodericks 200,000.

That said, 280-310 units means only 1000sqft average per unit, including public hallways, elevators, and ground floor retail space. Saying a hotel room is 400sqft or so, it could be done, but all of the units would have to be about 600sqft 1bdrms and studios.

[[Hi, long time reader, who lived in metro Detroit for 4 years while going to school and finally decided to speak up).