Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Because a second span would require more concrete, more lines and more negative impacts on the area of his existing bridge.
I actually think it's the opposite. Once GH bridge opens, it will virtually eliminate all thru truck traffic going into Windsor. So you essentially have a bridge that is used for local business, travel, work, etc. Not miles of 18 wheelers lined up in downtown on both sides. So right off the bat, you're eliminating tons of traffic.

Yes, the new bridge will have an additional lane, but I don't see how it will have "more" negative impacts on Windsor. I'd argue it will actually lessen the impact on Windsor.

The Ambassador, while substantially younger than some bridges [[Brooklyn for example) hasn't been maintained the same way and is most likely approaching the end of it's life in the near future. Building a new span makes the most sense, to me at least. I think the major issue previously [[besides Moroun and his inflammatory tactics) was the truck traffic in downtown Windsor and how to alleviate it. With the GH bridge taking care of that, at this point, why stop Moroun from dumping a billion bucks in private funding into a new span? Yes, Windsor has had its major issues with this family, but I think that now with GH, they will be more apt to approve a new span eventually.