Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I have every reason to believe that Brook's comments were taken out of context. I find it ironic that the day before this ran in the Freep which Brooks gives a lot of good reasons why the DIA needs our support now more than ever.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2014301190032

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I have every reason to believe that Brook's comments were taken out of context.
    That is certainly possible. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine how there could have been a context within which the reservation comment would be reasonable. Seriously misquoted, OK, but I don't think context can redeem that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That is certainly possible. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine how there could have been a context within which the reservation comment would be reasonable. Seriously misquoted, OK, but I don't think context can redeem that one.
    I've heard Brooks speak on numerous occasions. I think the fact that he does a two year budget and keeps it updated is amazing. I have mixed feelings about him because as County Prosecutor he brought up a manslaughter charge on my uncle that was dismissed after it went to court. Therefore, I see two sides to this guy.

Like CA Young, Brooks is a lightening rod. Both of them were smart-@$$e$. If you ask them a smart-@$$ question, then that would be the type of answer you are going to get.

I kind of question why he would want to continue being County Exec Director, but politicos seem to draw their life from being someone. Many won't retire or stay around far too long.

I have every reason to believe that Brook's comments were taken out of context. I find it ironic that the day before this ran in the Freep which Brooks gives a lot of good reasons why the DIA needs our support now more than ever.

Yeah, sure. I don't know why the New Yorker would care enough about him to print a hit piece. But if they did then he should file a suit.

Read between the lines.

I fully believe that he supports the DIA, just minus the "Detroit" part. He didn't even have the balls to call it the Detroit Institute of Arts.

Notice how he seemed to make it clear that it was only an "attraction not just for the region [[suburbs), but all of Michigan", not the city of Detroit. He even stopped just short of saying he doesn't want the DIA under Detroit's ownership.

It sort of like how folks support the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings, but only because they're the only professional sports teams in the region and thus a source of entertainment [[and Detroit is just a much more marketable name than "SE Michigan"). It's not like they support those teams to boast the city of Detroit.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-21-14 at 09:41 AM.

LBP's Spokesman---
    Bill Mullan, a spokesman for Patterson, issued the following statement concerning the New Yorker profile.

“It is clear Paige Williams had an agenda when she interviewed County Executive Patterson. She cast him in a false light in order to fit her preconceived and outdated notions about the region. Mr. Patterson’s record on advancing regional issues in a transparent and responsible manner is unparalleled. His initiatives – including such as Automation Alley, the regional law enforcement management system CLEMIS, and his leadership on the Cobo Authority – have had a highly positive and nationally recognized impact on the region.”

Mullan did not say Patterson was misquoted.
    If he was not misquoted, then how was any of it taken out of context? He, to my knowledge, has never appended nor retracted any of the quotes so ...if he's been taken out of context, what exactly was the right context for
    "I made a prediction a long time ago, and it's come to pass. I said, 'What we're going to do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, an then throw in the blankets and corn.'"