Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

woodwardboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    If a city loses 1 million residents, things have clearly not "stayed the same".
    I was attempting to specifically exclude wars and natural disaster.

I ran some searches of the former GDR and Russia and have not seen a city that lost 1 million people ouside of war or natural disaster.

Detroit it seems may be the only city in the world to lose 1 million residents not attributed to war or natural disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    Detroit it seems may be the only city in the world to lose 1 million residents not attributed to war or natural disaster.
    Part of our comeback could be marketing this unusual status.

woodwardboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Part of our comeback could be marketing this unusual status.
    I dont see a "comeback" in Detroits future. All the predicitve models indicate a decline in Detroits population for the foreseeable future.

For Detroit to have a "comeback" would mean an increase in population like Chicago or New York experienced after a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    I dont see a "comeback" in Detroits future. All the predicitve models indicate a decline in Detroits population for the foreseeable future.

For Detroit to have a "comeback" would mean an increase in population like Chicago or New York experienced after a decline.
    Well maybe a partial comeback, as maybe a stabilization of population in Detroit. A few years ago I read an article that some demographer felt that Detroit's population would stabilize at around 750,000.

Even if by some miracle people began swarming back into the city, aren't the building code different, didn't the city change the building codes many years ago that require larger lots? So if new residents wanted to build on vacant lots there would be a lower housing density, pretty much like many suburban subdivisions.

Also, families have fewr children. And even if Detrooit were to experience population growth again it is not likely that many new families would have children, at least nowhere near as many as in the 1950's when Detroit's population peaked.