Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Agree and disagree. You can't call it a success if there is a massive degradation of all services. Perhaps having benchmarks of expected levels of service. I can get the financial ship in order tomorrow if I fire every cop and firefighter but I sure as hell wouldn't quantify that as a success.

I think there should be financial metrics and minimum service level metrics to ensure that the citizens are getting a reasonable level of service. But then again the Governor and those that will monitor the consent agreement and finances don't really care about any level of service as long as the finances are addressed.
    If the Governor [[EFM, CA or bankruptcy) address the finances, that 'empowers' the local officials to improve service.

If you want the State to 'ensure that citizens ... a reasonable level of service', they would then need 100% control over the City. That's a great idea -- but its not what the EFM/CA laws are built to do. Too bad. Because this EFM/CA doesn't go nearly far enough.

A total dismantling of Detroit government with an 'Emergency Administrator' with 100% power over everything is appropriate given the operational mismangement of the City. But for now that remains on my 'wish list'. It is so clearly what is needed.

If you want to 'ensure that citizens
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; June-01-12 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    If the Governor [[EFM, CA or bankruptcy) address the finances, that 'empowers' the local officials to improve service.

If you want the State to 'ensure that citizens ... a reasonable level of service', they would then need 100% control over the City. That's a great idea -- but its not what the EFM/CA laws are built to do. Too bad. Because this EFM/CA doesn't go nearly far enough.

A total dismantling of Detroit government with an 'Emergency Administrator' with 100% power over everything is appropriate given the operational mismangement of the City. But for now that remains on my 'wish list'. It is so clearly what is needed.

If you want to 'ensure that citizens
    Agreed, however we can't ignore the citizens or the citizen's needs to get to the point that the finances 'empowers' local officials improve service.

I think we agree that the role of the consent agreement/EFM is to get the finances in order but that can't be done in a vacuum with no consideration of minimum funding/levels of services for citizens.

If everything is cut and no services are delivered [[or they are even worse than now) then this will cause a significant number of residents/businesses to continue to leave. Once they're gone it is difficult to get them back.

Straight out cutting is just going to result in a city just as bad off but with a slightly better financial situation. Some consideration must be given to existing residents and businesses or this is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

I fear that Snyder, Dillon and those in Lansing have no concern for the short term impact on the residents as long as it gets us to the end goal. There is a way to do it fast and a way to do it right. I think they just want to do it fast.

When you try to lose weight do you exercise and lose it over time or just cut off your leg?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Agreed, however we can't ignore the citizens or the citizen's needs to get to the point that the finances 'empowers' local officials improve service.

I think we agree that the role of the consent agreement/EFM is to get the finances in order but that can't be done in a vacuum with no consideration of minimum funding/levels of services for citizens.

If everything is cut and no services are delivered [[or they are even worse than now) then this will cause a significant number of residents/businesses to continue to leave. Once they're gone it is difficult to get them back.

Straight out cutting is just going to result in a city just as bad off but with a slightly better financial situation. Some consideration must be given to existing residents and businesses or this is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

I fear that Snyder, Dillon and those in Lansing have no concern for the short term impact on the residents as long as it gets us to the end goal. There is a way to do it fast and a way to do it right. I think they just want to do it fast.

When you try to lose weight do you exercise and lose it over time or just cut off your leg?
    Right now, Detroit is obscenely fat and is telling the Doctor [[Snyder, et. al) that they just need another chocolate brownie.

When Detroit actually decides to start exercising, they will get help. Until then, all you can do is cut off the supply of sweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Right now, Detroit is obscenely fat and is telling the Doctor [[Snyder, et. al) that they just need another chocolate brownie.

When Detroit actually decides to start exercising, they will get help. Until then, all you can do is cut off the supply of sweets.
    So true, and in so many fewer words than I would have needed!