Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
"There's this guy..."? I think you're making some big assumptions here. How do you know that the guy in the Mercedes who threw the drink didn't know him from before? How do you know it's not his brother, abandoned son or someone who hired him and had his tools stolen or had something expensive broken while hiring him for work or some other ongoing bad relationship? Someone who just randomly throws drinks at a random person from a stopped Mercedes all dressed up makes no sense at all. Would any normal person do that? No, I don't buy it. I think there was more to it.

I would never do that and wouldn't expect anyone all dressed up from a Mercedes to randomly do that either because, first, if I don't know who he is, I don't know how he's going to respond. But, I'm guessing, being a vet, he's probably trained to respond aggressively from his former military training and living on streets. If it were me, I would be concerned the vet wouldn't come over and put a dent in my car costing over a thousand dollars worth of body work for provoking him. What does he have lose by attacking you? Seriously. He's probably already lost everything, which is why he's out there. What does he care if he loses it and takes you down? Same thing with aggressive panhandlers in downtown. I've had beggars follow me several blocks continually asking for change. I could just imagine what would happen if I threw a hot coffee at him.

I just politely say sorry I have no change. For all I know, he could shank me for it. I can't even imagine a time where I've seen a panhandler in Detroit who didn't give off a vibe that he would yell at me or pounce if I did something to set him off like throw a drink at him.

Your story sounds very rare and really out of the ordinary to make your case and I'm willing to bet there was something more to it. That's not something I've observed and I'm sure most others haven't either. To use that example to challenge the new panhandler law is so outrageous. I can't even go through this thread without having to respond to it.
People are cruel, period. To think they aren't makes me question how naive you are. People do shit to people everyday for no reason, to deny so would be foolish on your part.